Any homemade TFP Cartridge Cleaning Fluids?

tstex

Silver Supporter
Aug 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Hello to All,

I have a Hayward C4030 4 cartridge system, and they're about 2 ft tall. I have cleaned them once late last summer/fall, and want to clean them again. My pressure [15-20%+ from operations pressure] is still real good, but I just want to keep them clean and optimal for less resistance to VSP.

Does the forum or anyone have a good homemade blend for spraying on filters before hosing them off w sprayer? I am thinking water + X% of bleach, or water + vinegar, or similar would work well. My wife bought one from the pool store that was $24 bucks and I used almost 7/8 of it...I'm thinking there has to be a more economical way. Also, we are a CL-based pool.

Thanks a million,
tstex

I only have a cartridge filter for my spa, but I soak mine overnight in a solution of water and dishwasher detergent (such as Cascade, etc.). Then I spray them out the next morning. You could try soaking yours in the bathtub in a similar solution?

Thanks Guys....I was just contemplating that if I used anything soap based, does that take forever to spray out or if extra residual would that cause bubbles? :p

Maybe a combination of water, dawn and 5% bleach in a quart size spray bottle...The OEM $24 bottle of spray said to let them soak for 30 min's...not very long, but they went from light brown to stark white...

EDITED: Well, pooldv beat me to it entirely. The second link has what you want, only thing is I wouldn't use dishwasher detergent. It used to contain phosphates which are excellent at removing oils. However, since phosphates also promote algae growth they removed it from dishwasher detergents several years ago to help keep it out of lakes and streams. So I would use TSP instead, the red box not the green one.

Reactions: JoeyBagODonuts
Dishwasher detergent used to be good, then they removed the phosphates from it. Instead if you are going to give it a soak start with a mixture of water and TSP (the red box, not the green), this helps remove any oils that might have built up in it. After that you can give it an acid bath if you want, I believe it is a tsp of muriatic acid to gallon of water but don't quote me on that as I don't do it myself. Generally speaking I only do the TSP cleaning about once every two years and don't seem to have any issues with my 5 year old cartridge.

I have done the TSP once to my filters as well. Definitely works better than detergent, but like you, I just do the TSP about annually.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.