First time vacumming pool, need some guidance

Nov 9, 2015
Lawrence, KS
We just had our new pool completed last weekend and the PB walked me through everything in about two hours. He showed us how to vacuum but I can't remember everything he said. I know I have a plastic shield that goes in the skimmer and the hose connects to it. The other end of the hose connects to the broom component to sweep the pool. I can't remember what I am supposed to do with the pool pump and whether I fully close the main drain. I need to get my signature updated but for now, we have a 20x40 inground vinyl liner. Pump is pentair whisperflo variable speed with sand filter. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Also, is there anything that needs to be done after vacumming the pool? Backwash? Rinse?

You need to decide if you're going to vacuum to waste (where the water and schmutz leave the system and drains elsewhere never to be seen again) or will you be vacumming into the filter? The latter way saves water but deposits the schmutz into your filter.

You can look on YouTube for good videos of how to vacuum. You do want to make sure your hose is filled with water and not air so that you don't cause the pump to lose its prime.

Your filter won't require backwashing and then rinsing until the filter pressure raises over 25% its baseline pressure.

Since it's a brand spanking new pool and you don't have to deal with plaster dust, it should be a snap.

Close the main drain initially. If you find you have too much suction to where the vacuum head sticks to the floor, you will have to open it a little. But that comes later. Step two, connect the head to the pole and the hose to the head. Extend the pole all the way. I've had mine slide in while I was fumbling with the other end, and it was not fun getting it out. You can always shorten it later, but take care not to let it get away from you on... Step three, set the head in the pool. Step four, set the vacuum plate in the skimmer. Step five, slowly feed the hose into the water holding it upright as you go so all the air gets pushed out the open end. Step six, shove the full hose into the skimmer and connect it to the plate.

You're vacuuming. If by chance you sucked a little air, don't panic. It should recover. Then it's just like vacuuming the living room, back and forth. And like I said, if you get stuck, just crack the main drain to reduce the suction. It probably took me longer to type this than it will take you to follow the directions.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.