Acid start up new plaster , how long ?

turbo997

Silver Supporter
Oct 12, 2015
Spanish Fort , Alabama
So I did the acid start up on my new plaster .
Dropped my ph to 4-4.5 with muratic, and have been brushing 2-3 times a day for 3 days now .
The dust really does not seem to be changing . More or less just acts like a layer is just settling on the bottom . I stir it up when I first make passes with my brush , not severe , just a light cloud . I do have a darker plaster (diamond brite bahama breeze )
the water looks really good but cannot quite see my drains in the deep end yet but it is almost 9 feet .
I can see my brush almost all of the way to the bottom .
question is , how long should I continue the low ph ?
can I damage my new plaster by keeping it this low for much longer ?

Should I start adding soda ash or borax and bringing my ph up?

I wish I had personal knowledge to help, so all I can add are the instructions from Pool School:

Acid Start-up
This is a very common start-up procedure, especially for exposed aggregate finishes. Your builder usually does this whole procedure.

Leave the pump off at first.
Add 3 1/2 gallons muriatic acid per 10,000 gallons and then brush the entire pool. The acid will help dissolve the plaster dust so you don't need to vacuum.
Brush twice daily but don't vacuum or add chlorine until plaster dust is gone. For dark plaster only brush lighter colored or white areas.
When all plaster dust is gone, neutralize the acid with soda ash/washing soda by using a base demand test, wait 24 hours and repeat if needed.
When the PH reaches 7.2 or higher, check all equipment and turn on the circulation system. Clean the filter when the pressure increases 20% to 25% over the starting pressure. Add sanitizer in small amounts at first until the desired level is obtained.

Just a little :bump: for you turbo. Because your plaster guy left you and you've been alone in this, I believe you are very close (if not to the point already) of transitioning from the acid phase to the traditional start-up phase where you can raise pH/TA and begin cranking-up the system to circulate water. Just waiting on a couple more reviews of your story for the replies.

Pat has given you good advice. The acid startup really only needs to last until the majority of the plaster dust has disolved and this is usually just a couple days. Keeping the pH that low for much longer than that will yield little improvement (to anything already done) and can very well get to the point where plaster damage can occur. A good portion of the dust will have to be vacuumed once the plaster has sufficiently cured to allow it.

Unless I missed it, what are your chemistry numbers and what does your fill water look like?

Do you have a heater?

Were you given any instructions from the plasterer?

Pat has been a tremendous help already .
I will start bringing PH up this evening , and tomorrow , i guess to be on the safe side , i should not run my pump until tomorrow , or when I get the ph up to around 7 ?
I do not have a heater , but i do have a swg , that will not be turned on until after the 30 day mark.
Originally It was thought that i should start adding bleach , but now I am leaning toward using the Triclor tabs ?? I have already purchased the 12% bleach , but its no problem , i am sure that i can use it later.

I'm a fan of the tabs for startups and I'd recommend starting with that.

Aim for a pH of 6.8-7 so that you don't accidentally go too high with the washing soda. When you add the washing soda, it is common for the water to get cloudy. Turn the pump on and run it 24/7 until the water clears up, which is probably around 1 week.

How's it going "T"? Hopefully you are on your way to transitioning to the "Traditional" start-up portion ... increasing pH, TA, and starting get the circulation going. Also getting ready to add stabilizer and FC to keep that water clear. Hope all is going well. Sorry we can't help you with the scrubbing. That's all on you. But you have our sympathy. Stay with the brushing though. Keep yourself well-hydrated. :cheers:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.