Pool resurfacing / SWG upgrade

patplh

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 29, 2009
Massachusetts
Hi, we decided it's time to resurface our 16 yr old pool - we are the 3rd owners. I don't believe it's ever been resurfaced and is actually in good shape, no cracks but really stained. I tried to acid wash it myself, but that was a bit of an anxiety-ridden disaster :) so I decided to spend the $ and hopefully not worry about it 20 yrs.
I got several quotes ranging from $12600 for Pebbletec, 16400 for Pebblesheen and 11K for Satin Matrix Wet Edge (pool is 21 x 35; 95 linear feet, 3.5 ft to 8ft - kidney bean shaped)
My first question is whether it's worth the extra cost for Pebbletec. My understanding is that in my area (Massachusetts), there is only one pebbletec applicator, which causes the pricing to be substantially higher than Wet Edge. But I've been told that as an applicator, the Wet Edge guys might not have as good with attention to detail, but that was from a company that uses pebbletec exclusively.
Also, we wanted to upgrade from an inline chlorinator to a SWG system. We got a quote for $2000 - specifically, it includes an intellichlor salt cell with salt and wiring of unit. Does that sound about right? Is there a better SWG system I should be looking into?

Finally, I don't know how i'll ever decide what color finish to go with. I can barely choose a wall color, so picking a pool finish is going to be impossible :)
One of the pool builders recommended going darker to help heat the pool (we only have an electric heat pump now) - has anyone done that before? We are worried about darker finishes b/c our pool only gets sunlight from 9am to 4pm, but if it works, I'll go for it.

Thanks - love TFP

The Pentair SWG has a negative that it is limited to 20% increments when not used with automation system. There are workarounds, but I would look at the Hayward. Equipment will be under $1000 and installation is fairly straight forward if you have and electrical and PVC experience.

You are looking at under $100 in solar salt.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.