Newbie- bacaquil to TFP

Progers

Gold Supporter
Mar 21, 2016
Lafitte,Louisiana
I just started my pump up and started vacuuming leaves. Pool looks horrible! Nasty green! I was using bacaquil last year but refuse to pay for it anymore . I have just received my TF-100 testing kit and now I'm ready to begin!
I tested but I am lost?
Should I have wait to test?
results from what I did is
CL/.5
PH/8.2 or above it was the brightest of red
CYA/0
help

Well this is a great time to start. You'll be sooooo happy when you see how much money you save and how great your pool is going to look! You'll need to lower that pH first, and then it is bleach time! Take pics- sometimes the colors are mind blowing when the bleach reacts with bacqua-goo. And be prepared for goo! One of our previous bacqua users should chime in here if you have more questions.

Have you read this: Pool School - Convert Your Baqua Pool to Chlorine

Ah man, YS beat me to the post. :) Hello Progers, and welcome back. As YS mentioned, before you get to far into the new chemical levels for a chlorine pool, make sure you have read this page Pool School - Convert Your Baqua Pool to Chlorine and have done everything required to complete the conversion.

Once that's assured, you basically have three priorities, lower that pH under 7.8, add stabilizer for a target of 30ppm, and increase chlorine to about 3 ppm on the first day, then increase to about 5 ppm after that (use regular bleach). After doing that, watch FC closely. If it disappears extremely fast or your water condition changes (clarity or color tint), let us know. But first make sure the bacaquil conversion was completed properly, then address those three things as soon as possible before you water warms-up. Let us know if you have any more questions.

We can easily help you convert to a chlorine pool. Please read the links provided by the others. You'll want to make sure you fully digest and understand the process as it is laid out. Also, please note that Baqua-to-chlorine conversions can take A LOT of time (we had one last year that took 3 weeks to straighten out). So once you decided to do it, please make sure you are at a time in your schedule when you and any helpers you have, will be able to focus on it. This process can sometimes go quickly but many times takes at least a week or more. It's not something you can stop and start very easily so be ready to devote some time to it.

With that said, it is very doable and we can walk you through it.

Good luck,
Matt

Another comment. You DO NOT add any stabilizer until after the Baquacil is cleaned out. Adding stabilizer before you destroy the Baquacil will make the process impossible and you'll have to dump your pool water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: Newbie

my ph is 8.5 and I used the pool math to show me how much muratic acid in pool to bring it down. How long after adding the muratic acid to do the test again?
this is great place to be when I need info!
If you make a lap around the pool with the brush after you add the acid, it should be mixed pretty good and you can test right then. You could always make a lap around the pool brushing, then rest your aching shoulders and drink a cold one, and then test pH again.

I got the muratic acid and I used pool math to get the right amount to put in pool. It was 8.5 when added. How long should I wait to do another test for the ph?

About 30mins. Be sure to brush the pool, it helps with the mixing and distribution.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.