Newbie- bacaquil to TFP

We drained the pool today my husband was so mad cause all the oak leaves were clogging up the pump. So now I'm waiting on the pool to fill up with water. If he would have covered it ,like I told him Lol, this would not have happened.
but thanks to everyone who tried to help me.

We drained the pool today my husband was so mad cause all the oak leaves were clogging up the pump. So now I'm waiting on the pool to fill up with water. If he would have covered it ,like I told him Lol, this would not have happened.
but thanks to everyone who tried to help me.
You'll still need to SLAM/convert to eliminate any residual algae and baquacil. The good news is it won't take as long. And when it's done you will still need to change the filter sand. Note: a wet-n-dry shop vac makes short work of emptying it out.

Re: Balance pool chemicals

Merged by moderator into this thread. jblizzle

I'm new and I hope I'm in the right forum this time.
drained the pool and filled. My first test with TF 100 so here is what I was able to get so far,
FC/7
PH/7.2
TA/110
CC/1.0 ?
What should be done

New test readings

Merged by moderator into this thread. jblizzle

I am new here and I started out with trying to convert a bacaquil pool to chlorine. Then the husband said I'm draining it. Now I have a very clean pool after a day of scrubbing and crytal clear water in the pool.
Here are the readings from my TF 100 kit. I added household bleach.
FC 7
Ph 7.2
Ta 110
CC 1.0 (not sure about that )

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: New test readings

Before we go too much further, have you added any stabilizer (CYA)? I don't see that reading. If not, back-off on the bleach and let it sink to about 3 ppm until you get a sock in there and the stabilizer granules all dissolve - CYA target of 30 ppm for now. Then you can maintain the FC at about 4-5 ppm. pH can come-up a little to about 7.5. I'd just give it a coupe days or so. It may rise on its own with the TA over 100 (they work together). CH is N/A, so you're good there. But definitely confirm the CYA goal of 30 ppm.

Check that CC again tomorrow. If it's still over .5, then you may need to SLAM. It would seem odd with such fresh water though. We'll see tomorrow. It (FC) may just be killing-off some fresh organics from the fill water.

To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, simply place the required amount as calculated by the Poolmath calculator into a white sock and suspend it near a return jet. Probably best not to allow undissolved granules to rest directly against the pool surface though. You can squeeze the sock occasionally to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, consider your CYA adjusted to that programmed (target) level, although the test readings may take anywhere from 24 hours to a few days to fully register. Confirm CYA in about one week before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.

- - - Updated - - -

You can get the stabilizer at most Wal-Marts and home improvement centers pool sections for about $16 per 4-lb container.

- - - Updated - - -

Once the granules all dissolve, consider your CYA at 30 (amount dispersed per the Poolmath Calculator). Then your SLAM/Shock FC level will be 12.

According to the Poolmath Calculator, it looks like 132 ounces of liquid stabilizer should take your CYA from 0 to about 37 (round-up to 40) for your 10,400 gal pool. We have to assume you have completed all the instructions on the Pool School - Convert Your Baqua Pool to Chlorine page to be adding stabilizer, so you should now be able to resume normal chemical balancing. Your CC is quite elevated though, and that may be because of the conversion. So as Kim noted, you'll want to raise your pH to about 7.2. PH can be raised in three ways: borax, soda ash, and aeration. Borax is usually the best choice. I would suggest rolling right into a "SLAM" following the instructions on the link below in my sig. You can use bleach to raise and keep your FC at the SLAM level of 16. Keep it there as much as possible until you pass the 3 SLAM criteria on the SLAM page. This should resolve any final issues from the baquicil conversion and ensure your water is algae free. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.