Another newbie

BeachHead

Gold Supporter
Mar 22, 2016
Las Vegas, NV
Hello all. I wanted to say what an awesome forum this is! I wish I'd have had this great community 25 years ago when we got our first (and only) pool. I'm sure it would have saved me a lot of tuition, as my "pool school" was primarily the one consisting of hard knocks..;) We recently moved to Las Vegas and while our yard is pretty small, it is crying out for a cement pond..;)

Lots of things have changed in the pool world since we last built one, so I've been spending a lot of time reading, and trying to absorb all the options that are out there. I'm sure I have a million questions, so I wanted to thank everyone in advance for their kind help.

OH yeah! This is going to be a fun one to work with! Show us a pic of what we are working with and we will get this party started!

Kim

Well, I'm in the very early stages, and I'm a terrible artist, but first, here's what I've got to work with. Backyard is long and narrow, only about 20' from house to wall, on a slight angle. So, here's pictures of the blank slate. Back yard:

Here's the side yard (it'll make sense in a minute)

So here's a little drawing I've attempted keeping the 3' setback from the wall, and 5' from the house that I think I've read is required in my area:

Now, let me explain our concept, and please feel free to shoot all the holes in it you like, as it's just paper right now, and way cheaper to fix! So the inspiration is to make the spa area a little more intimate, since it's right off of the master bedroom. We ran across these pictures of someone's pool that got us thinking along this line, wife likes the private seating patio behind and I like the waterfall feature in the rounded wall area. Not going with a tropical theme though...like the stacked rock look. So here are the first inspiration:

more:

and more yet

seating area inspiration:

And finally, the design concept came from one of the many awesome pools here locally that is posted on this forum. I like the stone, and the easy care plants behind the pool to break up the brick wall. It also shows the approximate width our little pond would have:

So, our last pool was a free form, 3.5-6 about 15 x 30. We spent more time in the small shallow end than the deep end. We always said we should not have gone that deep, and had more shallow end, so that is what we're thinking here.

I know this seems very different than what most of the designs are..so what do you experts think?