What a difference a year makes

lefty51

Platinum Supporter
Wow, I was impressed with you guys before, now I have proof. Took the cover off the pool and for the first time in 19 years I see the bottom. I could actually see the little clumps of debris that I vacuumed out easily. A little cloudy and cold (58) but almost swimmable. Even though I've been sneaking on here and watching all winter, I believe I need a refresher course.

FC-3.0 goal 12
CC-1.0
PH-7.0 goal 7.6
TA-40 goal 70
CYA-30
CH-225
Borates-50
Salt-3000

Now correct me where I go wrong. Since CYA is 30 (I think, still not always sure of result), I think I will leave it alone for now and slam pool at 30. That should be a FC of 12 to start. Add 107oz of Borax to raise PH and only add 74oz of baking soda as Borax will raise TA by 11 (or not worry about it now?)

After the pool is clear and pass the overnite test, then I can adjust CYA, salt (and TA, if I wait.) Although Borates are 50, reading the dip stick I think it might be a tad under that so they should be ok. If not can I add acid later and aerate for PH.

Anyway I'm way ahead of schedule for swimming season. I hope I have done Kimkats proud

Actually, I would just leave the pH (7.2-7.5 for a SLAM) and TA alone for now and focus on the FC of 12 until you pass the 3 SLAM criteria. Great job, and congratulations on opening to a relatively clear pool. Outstanding. Kim would be proud. :) :goodjob:

I agree with Pat, with a vinyl pool, I would not worry about the pH and TA being slightly low right now and just focus on the SLAM at a FC of 12ppm.

When done, verify the pH is in the mid 7s and maybe bring the TA up to 50-60ppm since you have a SWG.

Boy it's nice to be overwhelmed with advice. Am working on the SLAM and will address the others after. I guess I'm so used to the old way it didn't feel right not to be putting out multiple fires at once.;) Even though I spent last summer on here telling people how right you guys were about TFP a new year rolls around and I almost, repeat almost reverted back. Thanks for being there to catch me. :goodjob:

LEFTY!!! HI!!! WOW what an awesome post!!! I am SO very proud!!! Look at what you did...........have an easy to open pool that leaves plenty of room in your wallet for other fun stuff! AND you can swim right away (or when it warms up LOL)

Kim (look at my shiny new badge hehe)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.