Proper Suction

Mar 15, 2016
Fort Mill/SC
Should, I be able to feel the suction through my skimmer basket? I generally have stuff in my basket, but I feel no resistance when pulling it out. With it out, if I put my hand near the suction I can feel some suction then, but if I put a sponge ball at the bottom of my basket it will not stick under water that's for sure. I am getting stuff in my pump basket and in my skimmer baskets so I'm not terribly concerned, but just want to know if its operating like normal.

It's possible that some of your suction is diverted, coming from your main drains and/or other skimmer. I would suspect that if you had a valve to close-off or adjust all the other suction areas, that one skimmer basket would receive more suction since it's no longer sharing the flow. Make sense?

It's possible that some of your suction is diverted, coming from your main drains and/or other skimmer. I would suspect that if you had a valve to close-off or adjust all the other suction areas, that one skimmer basket would receive more suction since it's no longer sharing the flow. Make sense?

Definitely, I have 2 drains and 2 skimmers, so maybe its normal suction, just seems like I should be able to feel it sucking water down if its going to pull debris into the basket. I'm going to go with the theory its working fine :)

You have a weir door in your skimmer inlet right?

that's one of the key things that creates the vortex in the skimmer and allows it to draw debris down
into the basket.

if you have the weir door (as everyone should) then yes likely your valve settings.

yes both skimmers have a weir door, it doesn't move all that much, but it doesnt feel stuck or anything like that. and generally everyday I have stuff in my baskets to clean out, so I think I'm good, I just wish there was a better way to know my suction level is normal :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.