quick question on swimming after adding chemicals

NSBFAN

Nov 13, 2015
Minnesota
Hi all,

Well after an enjoyable winter of maintaining my own pool via all I've learned here, we are finally in the season to actually swim in it! I was wondering how much time should be allowed after certain chemicals are added before swimming:

Chlorine - I use the 10% sodium hypochlorite liquid chlorine and keep my FC around 7 or 8 (my CYA is a bit high). So in my pool, my FC moves from 6 to 7 with 16 ounces. First, I assume it is fine to swim in water with FC at 7 or 8, correct? If I dump in one or two pints, do I just need to wait for it to circulate?

Muriatic acid - I use the liquid to maintain PH. My PH doesn't move real fast, just goes up slowly so I only add some occasionally. Same question on wait time. Obviously this is dangerous stuff!

CH increaser (calcium chloride) - I don't have to add that very often, but I'd assume with that 24 hours would be smart. Thoughts?

My numbers today:

FC - 6 (put in two pints LC to bring up to 8)
PH - 7.7
TA - 80
CH - 330
CYA - 80
temp - 84

Thanks for any feedback.

If you want to be super safe with Acid or Bleach, give it one hour. Less if you give the pool a good brushing after the additions. I never added the CH increaser, but it should dissolve pretty fast. As soon as it does, I see no reason to wait longer.

So long as FC is not at or above SLAM level it is safe to swim in. Your 7 or 8 is very safe to swim in. I add mine about let 15 mins or so pass to call it safe.

Muratic acid...........I add AFTER everyone is out of the pool and no one is around me. I hate this stuff and do not take any chances.

No sure about CH increaser as I do not use it so have not studied up on it sorry :(

Is your PH staying kind of stable?

Kim

I am a bad parent..My family has swam more than once while I am adding bleach.

I've almost done that. More like:

"Everyone go grab a drink or a snack."
*dumps in a gallon of 12.5%... maybe a little too quickly*
*brushes the bottom of the pool in the area*
"Back in the pool everybody!"

On topic, the general recommendation is 30 minutes of circulation to be on the safe side with bleach or MA. If you're adding CYA, you can swim while it's dissolving in the sock. Easier to swim around and squeeze it once in a while! Most other solids dissolve quickly so as soon as they're not visible. If you brush after adding chemicals, that certainly helps as well and can probably hop in sooner.

Thanks everyone for the feedback - and the humor. :) On the PH question, my PH does seem to rise slowly and consistently (my pool is 10 years old). But it doesn't swing a lot. Have to add a little acid once a week, sometimes twice.

As you keep maintaining your pH, your TA level will be reduced as well. Every time you add acid, the TA will go down. Let your TA get as low as 60 ppm and see how your pH behaves. You'll likely have less frequent acid additions at a bit lower TA. Below 60 ppm, your pool will lose pH buffering capacity so if it dips BELOW 60, then bump it back up to 60 or 70.

Thanks JVTrain for the info on TA - my TA had gotten to 70 and I thought I was supposed to keep it higher so got it back up to 90. At 80 right now.

Hi Flbeachluvr - nice to hear from a neighbor here as well. Cheers!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.