Northern NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Looking at refinishing my plaster pool. Currently it is your typical white plaster and tile band at the top. Had a builder come look and advised we could remove the tile band and pebble tec to the coping.

Any one have this design in their pool? Any issues?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can get away with it in some climates I think using an aggregate finish. Some like where I am are too hard on it. Not sure what other plaster experts would say, but I've heard of people doing or considering this before.

From my very limited knowledge, I've always been under the impression that you didn't want the stonescapes, pebbletec, or whatever exposed out of the water for too long. The 6" tile line served 2 purposes; it can be exposed to the elements outside of water, and it served as your fill line (middle of tile). So from what you are describing, there would be at least a few inches of the pebble exposed unless you planned on filling all the way up to the coping. I've also wondered how the beach entry pools that use the "sand" colored pebbletec or stonescapes for the beach effect as there is a little bit of exposed finish at the entry point. I'm sure others will chime in.

There are a few folks here who have exposed pebble finish above the water line, beaches, rolled edges, etc. It is not all that common, but I don't recall seeing any issues with the folks that have them. It seems like it would be harder to clean at the water line.

There are a few folks here who have exposed pebble finish above the water line, beaches, rolled edges, etc. It is not all that common, but I don't recall seeing any issues with the folks that have them. It seems like it would be harder to clean at the water line.

The builder was showing me pictures of his installs. Everyone that involved pebble had no tile band and pebble to coping. Anything plaster related that wasn't pebble had a tile band. Found it interesting.

I just saw a post a few weeks ago of a member that had the rolled edges in Arizona that had a crack. I also remember seeing other posts over the years that Pebble Tech should always be under the water line.

I would ask the builder if you do go that route is there a way to put a control joint below the water line where the tile would end? That way if you do develop a crack it will hopefully stop before getting too deep and causing a major problem.

Interesting read. You get sort of a mixed reaction from it. Some of it says yes you can but then some of it says your probably shouldn't.

If that info is from MMG here in Houston, they are the #1 PebbleTec installers in the country, according to PebbleTec. Or at least they were last year when Suz built her pool. Bmore, that's good info you found. Sounds like they don't recommend it, but if you are going to do it they tell you how to do it to cause the least amount of problems.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It appears that max 18" reveal for warranty which is interesting. Got the quote and its cheaper to pebble tec all the way then to do tile and diamond brite or just white plaster. Must his way to push you forwards it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.