Didn't close pool - live in MD

Hi, this is my first time posting, although through this website over the last 2 summers, I've learned not to spend tons of money on chemicals, and have switched to BBB - so thank you!

My problem:

I did not close my pool professionally this past year, just threw in some bleach throughout the year, and cleaned debris from the bottom. When I filled it about a week ago (it had dropped to the bottom of the pool skimmer plate) I filled it about 4" above the skimmer, but within just 5 days it had dropped back down to the bottom of the skimmer plate (water is still going in, but just barely). SO, clearly I have a leak. However I just called my pool company (Browning Pool, Germantown MD) and they said because I hadn't had them close it last year, that my pipes probably froze, and broke, and they're talking major repairs after they come out and pressure test. The pressure test is $400.00.

Is it indeed likely that A) Because I didn't blow the pipes out, put in antifreeze etc., that my pipes have in fact broken underground, or B) Could it be that I have a tear in my liner somewhere above the skimmer line? (Our hammock stand got blown into the pool this winter, and it's metal, and we had to drag it out)...

Should we hire a diver to come in and try to find a leak in the liner, or just suck it up and go with the pressure testing? Also, what's the likely hood of a pool in MD (just outside DC) freezing and breaking our pipes?

On a positive note, just using the BBB method, within days my pool went from yucky brown, to sparkling blue!

Thanks for any insight that you can give me!

Julie.
PS - I hope this is the correct forum to ask these questions..

Welcome to TFP!

This is the correct forum to ask this question!

It is very possible for pipes to freeze and burst in Maryland. I have had it happen here in Silver Spring.

I agree with the pool company, the pipes are the first thing to look at.

If there was a problem with the liner it would probably be right near the current water level and easy to spot. It wouldn't hurt to take a careful look at the liner all the way around within an inch of the current water level. But I doubt that that is the issue.

UGH! I was hoping to NOT hear that.... I too live in Silver Spring - over in Aspen Hill ;-) So I guess I should call Browning back, and schedule them to come and pressure test, and put on my swimsuit, brave the rain and cold, and put myself in the pool :-( and look for a leak.

How much water should "evaporate" in about a week? I feel like we've always had to add tons of water to our pool ;-)

If it's like a pin hole, would I actually be able to see it? Or in order to lose 6""+ in a week, would it need to be a pretty substantial size hole? ALSO, where's the water actually going if it's a leak in my pipes? Wouldn't I notice it someplace in my yard?

Thanks for answering so quickly!!

Julie.

We use Dixon Pool Service, 301-607-1011. They are not the least expensive by any means, but when they fix something it stays fixed. We tried several other companies and they either failed to solve the problem or broke something else along the way. We had a pipe burst over the winter after a professional closing by the largest local company. For leaks you could also try American Leak Detection. They are a national company with a branch in this area.

How much is lost to evaporation varies quite a bit depending on humidity. In the early spring and late fall we lose 2-3" a week, but in mid-summer when it is very humid we hardly lose anything at all.

A 6"/week leak is something you should be able to see. A pin hole would not lose that much. You shouldn't need to get in the water. The leak, if there is one, should be very near the surface and easy to see from outside the pool. If the leak was deeper, you would have lost more water over the winter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.