Edmond OK
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
So my Intex 1600 gph pump quit at the end of last season. I'm pretty sure it's just the run capacitor, but I haven't been able to find a direct replacement online. I bought one that I thought was a match, but it wasn't when it arrived. So while searching for another one, I came across this: Pro Above Ground Swimming Pool Pump System 4500GPH 19 Sand Filter w/ 1.0HP - Walmart.com

Regularly $499 for $229, so what the heck, let's give it a shot. I've always wanted a larger pump -- the 1600 gph was just adequate, and I'd like to be able to hook up a robotic vacuum. And I've gone thru 2 of these Intex pumps over the past 4 years, so maybe this one will last a little longer.

It came in today, and this thing is GINORMOUS!!! 175 lb sand filter vs. the 60 lb Intex.

temporary_zpsklalwbzm.jpg

I plugged it in for just a second, and even running dry, it's pretty quiet. I hope 1 HP, 4500 gph isn't overwhelming for my little 16' pool. I'm sure it's going to circulate well. I've got a Hayward Dyna-skim and eyeball, so I think they'll be up to the task. Plus i plumbed in a diverter to use for a fountain/footwash. I can use this for an additional return if I need to relieve the pressure on my primary return.

It's been cool and rainy here this week, but hopefully it'll dry out soon and I can get it hooked up and give a report on how it works. For this price, it might be a nice upgrade, especially for someone with a 20' or larger AGP.

Nice upgrade! Now you are ready for a bigger pool! uh-oh

Believe me, it's crossed my mind. However, the way I built a sandbox rather than leveling the ground, a 16' is the largest I can fit without redoing the entire thing. And considering that the box cost twice as much as the pool, I may wait a while -- at least until this pool gives out.

WP_20150720_15_54_52_Pro_zpsqjods1eq.jpg

Those pumps are bullet proof! Try not to run dry though.

That's what I'm hoping! There's not much to go wrong, no timer, no GFCI, not even an on/off switch. Which is fine by me, I run everything on an external timer anyway. And the entire circuit is on a GFCI at the house. I had to cut off the GFCI on my Intex pumps because they tripped every time my timer turned them on.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's what I'm envisioning this pool is going to look like once I get this hooked up:

the-whirlpool.jpg

Nice! My first pool was a blow up Intex pool, it got bigger every couple of years. You only have to extend each side by 4 or 5 feet. That's what winter is for! :stirpot:

I wish I had built a hexagon with 12' 4x4's instead of a square with 16' ones. I haven't done the geometry, but I'm pretty sure it would accommodate an 18' pool and would have been cheaper too. A 16' 4x4 cost almost twice as much as a 12'.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So my Intex 1600 gph pump quit at the end of last season. I'm pretty sure it's just the run capacitor, but I haven't been able to find a direct replacement online. I bought one that I thought was a match, but it wasn't when it arrived. So while searching for another one, I came across this: Pro Above Ground Swimming Pool Pump System 4500GPH 19 Sand Filter w/ 1.0HP - Walmart.com

It's been cool and rainy here this week, but hopefully it'll dry out soon and I can get it hooked up and give a report on how it works. For this price, it might be a nice upgrade, especially for someone with a 20' or larger AGP.

I've been looking at a replacement 1HP pump, and I like the price of this whole combo. I am in need of some upgrades on my filter as well. Just curious do most of you agree that this would work nicely for my 15,500 gallon AGP?

Last edited:
Plumb a stub in with a shutoff and clamp a pool noodle to it and have the ultimate water cannon.

I have an Intex robot coming tomorrow and that's exactly what I'm going to do with it. Normally it attaches to the Intex return, but I have a Hayward eyeball and it's not threaded. So I'm going to plumb a stub that I can run the robot on while still running the regular return at the same time. I'll just throw it in overnight and come home to a clean pool the next day.

Here's what I made to run a footwash/fountain. I'll add another one with a valve for the robot/water cannon.

temporary_zpscnsrizjq.jpg

Btw, these Intex robots are only $49 for Amazon prime members right now. I'll report back how it works.

Amazon.com : Intex Auto Pool Cleaner : Swimming Pool Suction Cleaners : Patio, Lawn Garden

The beast is installed. Man, this thing moves A LOT of water. Yes, Ranger, I think it would be big enough for your pool. And it's quiet too. From the opposite side of the pool, you can hardly tell it's running. It picked up leaves from the bottom of the pool and worked them to the skimmer. My old pump wouldn't have budged them.

temporary_zps4vvpp2rv.jpg

I had figured on having to make my own adapters from PVC to hook up to my Intex hoses, but Leslies had these adapters, a package of two for $9, that work perfectly. I've got a small leak in one, but I'll get that fixed tomorrow. It got dark on me tonight.

temporary_zpsh0wupygq.jpg

The beast is installed. Man, this thing moves A LOT of water. Yes, Ranger, I think it would be big enough for your pool. And it's quiet too. From the opposite side of the pool, you can hardly tell it's running. It picked up leaves from the bottom of the pool and worked them to the skimmer. My old pump wouldn't have budged them.

Jeff,
Just ordered one of these for myself today. Can't wait to try it out. Curious how much sand you put in it? It's rated at 175lbs, but looking online I see a lot of people have been putting 100lbs in theirs.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.