Stains on vinyl returned after clearing up

I recall your previous thread about calcium and stains. Did you ever do the puck and Vit C tests I recommended to you back then? Those tests determine if the stain is organic or metal....and without knowing what it is, it's hard to know how to treat it.

What did you put in the pool?? What are your test results? Did the pool store test for metals before selling you that product?

Hey! You need to determine if the stains are organic or metallic (iron, eg) for example. You can do this easily by putting a small amount of vitamin C (I used a vit C pill) on the stain. If you see a noticeable difference after rubbing the vit C on it, then it is likely metallic in nature. I bet since the stain remover worked, then it is metal stains.
You can rule out organic (algae, eg) stains by performing the FAS-DPD test. It will be helpful if you put more information in your signature including the size of the pool, pump, how you sanitize (bleach, SWG, pucks), what test kit you are using.
Sometimes stain remover alone does not work and you can perform an absorbic acid treatment (below). The results are remarkable! I used citric acid, which was cheaper and did the trick!

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/2129-Ascorbic-Treatment-to-rid-Pool-of-metal-stains

Greetings and welcome.

If the stain remover worked, I also suspect metals. Are you on well water?

If metal, the stains will have come back if either you failed to use metal sequestrant after the treatment OR if you've allowed your ph to get too high, which can cause metals to fall back out of solution.

Are you using one of the test kits recommended by TFP to test and control your chemistry? (TFTestkits.net)
If so, and if all of your other parameters are in order, next time you do a stain removal treatment, follow the instructions in the AA (Ascorbc Acid) treatment thread and then actively keep your ph on the lower side, eg 7.2ish. Here's a link: Ascorbic Treatment to rid Pool of metal stains

Once you've done the vit c test to confirm, if the staining is mild, if *might* also be removed or lightened by adding a Metal sequestrant like Metal Magic.

I asked about the test kit because managing stains etc. (and in general a pool ;) ) requires an accurate method of testing and being able to rule out other suspects by performing an overnight chlorine loss test, etc. doing an ascorbic acid treatment also requires some precision around bringing up the FC slowly and monitoring the ph after treatment.

=========

Sue, I've noticed that you're new to this pool...One thing you'll find helpful is to read up in pool school and get one of the recommended test kits for regular water balance before messing with stain treatments, etc. The pool store will keep selling you "fixes" but just as what happened to you this time, there was other information that would have empowered you to make the fix WORK longterm ;) Eg. I see earlier they told you to add calcium to a vinyl pool, etc.

I know its hard to believe there can be such ignorance at a store that's FOR pools, but believe me, through using the TFP way of pool treatment here, I quickly learned that this is actually often the case when I was new to my pool five years ago!

So take your time and get familiar with testing and balancing your water through TFP, and then we'll help you manage stains, etc. Don't rush into another AA treatment until you're comfortable with testing and your water is balanced.

Please also add to your signature if you have a salt water generator (SWG) -- there are different metal sequestrants used in that case designed for SWG.

Swampwoman thank you so much for your help. I have a couple of questions: 1- can you recommend a good sequestering agent? 2-when you raise the chlorine slowly what is the ideal ppm to shoot for? 3-can I use an algae control agent (left from previous owner) while I'm slowly raising the chlorine ppm? I printed out the ascorbic acid treatment instructions and have some acid on its way. I don't think I used enough sequestering agent last time I used 32ozs for 10,000 gals but my pool is about 15,000 so maybe a bottle and a half or two bottles would be better. Also the stains are mostly gone so I'm going to just touch it up this weekend do think this treatment is good for that? Thanks again for your help, I'm trying to get better at this. Sue

OTPirate thanks for your help. I put the vitamin C on it and stain disappeared immediately. The last treatment I used worked really well but I don't think I used enough sequestering agent to keep all the metals in solution. I'm going to touch up the stains this weekend with the ascorbic acid and add more sequestering agent, last time I only used 1 bottle which was recommended for 10,000gals. I think I should use at least 1 bottle and a half or maybe two. Thanks for all your help, good stuff.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.