Just making sure all is well...

May 22, 2008
Florida
Howdy yall!! it's been awhile!

I just tested my pool for the begining swim season here in sunny (ok its stormy for the next few days :() Florida. Thought I would post the results to make sure you guys thought it was all good. (hopefully my judgment hasnt gotten to rusty over the winter!)

pH 7.2 (added some borax)
FC 24
CC 0
TA 100
CYA 90

Only thing we have added to the pool since we pulled the cover off was a few bags of shock.. Its cloudy and needs to be super filtered to clear an algae bloom we had after all the rain we had a few months back, (I sorta got lazy about chlorine and the cover-then it bloomed and I got back on track!) but other than that it seems the water is ok. CYA is a bit high but like I said I havent put anything in it so I wonder if I should leave it alone and just keep the chlorine higher? (what would be the ratio for chlorine to higher CYA?)

What do you guys think?

THANKS AS ALWAYS!!!

Alli

See the CYA chart in my sig for that answer about CYA/FC.

Bout that PH.... it is very low, and when the FC is over 10 it tends to read a false high. So I'm willing to guess that it's even lower than 7.2. When the FC drops back down below 10, please test it again and that's when you should make adjustments to the PH. Don't try to adjust it when the FC is over 10. :wink:

You can keep the FC higher according to CYA of 90, but you'll use a lot more chlorine that way. Tis up to you... if you don't add any more powdered shock, stick to liquid chlorine, you'll see the CYA level drop back down over the summer. (I'm assuming the powdered shock you are using is Dichlor....can you check the label? If it's dichlor, stop using it because it is adding CYA to your pool...use only liquid chlorine or bleach for now.)

To say what frustratedpoolmom said in a different way: Don't trust PH test results when the FC level is that high, they will read higher than actual. If you did the PH measurement before you added chlorine then you are fine. But if the PH reads 7.2 while FC is that high then there may be a problem.

Gotcha, I added a fair amount of Borax yesterday, so I will test it again tomorrow to see what the levels are then.

I would have done it today although we were having nasty storms.

Thanks for the heads up. I didnt think about the high Chlorine levels making the pH test high.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.