Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battle with heavy rainfall. I lost... Round one anyway.

1. Back To Top    #1

Battle with heavy rainfall. I lost... Round one anyway.

We live in Dallas area and yesterday had 5 different waves of Thunderstorms sweep through. 2nd wave brought out a Tornado Warning at about 4pm and poured hard for about 30 minutes. Our decking drains were barely able to keep up with the overflow from the pool. Last wave came through early this past morning at 4am. All told was 4.5" of rain in a 12 hour span.

After each wave I went and inspected the pool out back and was met with an overflowing pool. I was basically draining from 4pm until about 10am this morning. Since having the pool built last summer, we have had 2 times where water/soil/mulch entered the pool from overflowing landscaped beds.

My pool water had been tested earlier in the day and was basically perfect.

Here is what I was left with after the pool having overflowed so much and draining to optimal level:

Have been running the pump and Legend cleaner non stop. Only time I stopped the pump was to get the Legend cleaner bag emptied, had a full bag of mulch. 2nd time stopping the cleaner was better and hardly anything was in it. Pump is still running and am hoping for a bit better result in the morning.

Since I have SWG, I know with that much water displaced, the salt would be real low, so went out and got a couple bottles of bleach and dumped them in(after Storm wave 2) just to have extra chlorine. Tested the Chlorine this morning and was just a hair over 5.0.

I am far from an expert, but I just need to be patient for the water to clear up right? I test Chlorine and pH daily.
    14100 gallon IG Gunite Pool
    Sapphire Smoke Quartz Plaster
    Pentair SunTouch Controller, Intelliflo 4x160 Pump, 520 Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor SWG System
    Legend Platinum Cleaner with booster pump
    My Pool Build

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Battle with heavy rainfall. I lost... Round one anyway.

Yes, all that rain and the salt won't be the only thing out of balance.

You need to post a full set of results. The salt will be low, so you'll have to add it. Your CYA will probably be off too, possibly PH and TA also....

So post a full set.

You are going to have to shock your pool, to get rid of that green water. But post a full set of results first, I want to see your other numbers first.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

P.S. on an unrelated note, recent changes to the forum rules - you need to edit your signature down to 5 lines of text. TIA
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I am far from an expert, but I just need to be patient for the water to clear up right?
    I would be somewhat more proactive. I would keep the pump running 24/7....backwashing/cleaning as necessary. I would also (with bleach) bring your FC up to shock level (you don't say what your CYA is) and hold it there until your pool clears. That's going to require quite a bit more bleach.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    P.S. on an unrelated note, recent changes to the forum rules - you need to edit your signature down to 5 lines of text. TIA
    Done, thanks.

Will post a full set of results this evening. I know it will take more than just bleach, just what I added to get started. Pump has been running almost non-stop since the rain started Saturday. I think the Cartridge filter should be OK as I just cleaned the cartridges 2 weeks prior. Will go from the results of what I need to add this evening. I have a couple more bottles of 1.4 gallon bleach at home that I had the wife pick up on a trip to the store yesterday.

Thanks all.
    Pentair SunTouch Controller, Intelliflo 4x160 Pump, 520 Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor SWG System
    My Pool Build

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Tonedeaf
    I know it will take more than just bleach...Pump has been running almost non-stop since the rain started Saturday....more bottles of 1.4 gallon bleach at home...
    We had a similar situation last year or the year before. We had torrential rains and had dirt/mud run down the hillside over the rock steps and into the pool. We could just barely make out the bottor of the shallow end due to the dirt/silt/mulch in the water .
    We ended up shutting off the SWG and running the sand filter 24x7, we went through lots of bleach , and vacummed lots of times. It still took over a week to clear things up, and that was with the pool cleaner keeping things stirred up for the last day.
    Triad Region of NC
    18x37 Vinyl IG (24,000 gal.), BBB & GoldLine AquaLogic PS4 SWG, Hayward 1 HP Superpump / Hayward Sand Filter / Polaris 280 cleaner / 6 deck jets / Sheer Descent Waterfall (in coping) / Brick Red Concrete Coping / Stamped Concrete Deck
    Lots of oak trees, maple trees, *and* leaves!

7. Back To Top    #7

I feel your pain, Tonedeaf. I hope it clears up soon...it's so discouraging when you have your water adjusted just right. We flooded twice in April, but didn't get as much dirt and debris in as you did. Wasn't running the SWG at the time, so I added bleach. Luckily I never had CC of over 1 (mainly got some brown mulch and a little bit of dirt in), and it cleared very quickly, but I had to re-do my salt, and CYA levels. We are now building higher brick and stone barriers to keep the mulch and dirt in better in big rainfalls like this.
    7,000 gal. IG gunite, SWG, PebbleSheen interior finish-Aqua Blue, 8' vanishing edge raised 16-jet overspill spa, 2 12" waterfalls, tan shelf with bubbler.
    Pentair equipment: Easy Touch 8, Intellichlor IC-40, Intelliflo VF 3050, 2.5 hp Whisperflo spa pump, 1 hp Whisperflo water feature pump, Quad 100 DE filter, Master Temp 400 heater, Legend Platinum Cleaner (3/4 hp pump). Autofill, TF-100 Test Kit w/salt and borate strips.

Pisces Pool Build

8. Back To Top    #8

Just tested the water:

FC 3.0
    CC 0
    PH 7.8
    TA 110
    CH 260
    CYA 50

Any help with what to do. I will be plugging into the Pool Calculator to see what I need to do.

Thanks all.
    My Pool Build

9. Back To Top    #9

According to Pool calculator, I need to get FC up to 16 to be at shock, that is just over 2 jugs of 6% 182 fl oz. chlorine.

Also says to add 54 oz of CYA. Is it oK to add CYA into the skimmer along with adding the bleach into the pool, or should I wait 30 minutes between?

Thanks.
    My Pool Build

10. Back To Top    #10

Tonedeaf I feel your pain as we are on the west side of Fort Worth. During one of those downpours I saw water flying into the pool from my overflow drain in the pool. I guess I lucked out because I only ended up with very cloudy water and the filter took care of that in 1-day.
    16,000 gal IG Double Roman Plaster Pool (16yrs - plaster redone 2014)
    Pentair FNS-48 DE filter with WhisperFlo 2HP single speed pump
    Polaris 280 robot
    BBB all the way and tested with a TF100 kit
    Pool Calc user

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Tonedeaf
    Just tested the water:

FC 3.0
    CC 0
    PH 7.8
    TA 110
    CH 260
    CYA 50

According to Pool calculator, I need to get FC up to 16 to be at shock, that is just over 2 jugs of 6% 182 fl oz. chlorine.

Also says to add 54 oz of CYA. Is it oK to add CYA into the skimmer along with adding the bleach into the pool, or should I wait 30 minutes between?

Thanks.
    Where's your salt reading?

You need to lower the PH down to 7.4 with Muratic Acid. Wait an hour and then add the bleach. Leave the filter running 24/7 (your SWG should be off for now). You can pour the CYA slowly thru the skimmer, make sure it's slow so that you don't clog the line. Make sure your pump is running 24/7 until this clears. The CYA will take a few days to register, so wait until Friday or so before you retest.

Keep the FC up to shock level until it holds overnight, and the water is clear again. Keep using the bleach for shocking. When the FC holds, let the FC drop to normal levels, when it's below 10, retest the PH and make sure it is range. Assuming your salt level is where it should be then you can turn your SWG back on. Be sure your SWG is off when you do an overnight test to see if the FC is really holding.

12. Back To Top    #12

Salt level is at 2600. SWG is off. Does it matter if pump is on high or low? It has been on 24/7.
    My Pool Build

13. Back To Top    #13

I would run the pump on high for a little while during and after adding chemicals, but the rest of the time it should be alright on low.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

14. Back To Top    #14

Tested chlorine this morning with a FC reading of 15.0 and a CC reading of 0.5.

Not much used overnight. Will check again this evening when I get home.
    My Pool Build

15. Back To Top    #15

Test results this evening:

FC 12.5
    CC .5
    PH 7.5
    TA 110
    CH 260

Did not test CYA as I just added some yesterday.

About to go pour in 102 oz of bleach. Would it be OK if I just poured in an entire bottle? Would raise FC to 18.7 according to calculator. It's ok to be higher than 16 right?
    My Pool Build

16. Back To Top    #16

You can go a little higher on FC without problems, but you don't want to go a lot higher. A whole bottle should be alright in this situation.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

17. Back To Top    #17

Tested again this evening

FC = 13
    CC = 0
    ph = 7.5
    TA = 110

Water is looking better. Added more bleach to get FC to atleast 16. Can see the drains on the side of the pool now. Can't wait to see the bottom drain again.
    My Pool Build

18. Back To Top    #18

You're getting there!! Almost....just a little longer. I'll be glad for you, when it's back to clean and sparkly!
    7,000 gal. IG gunite, SWG, PebbleSheen interior finish-Aqua Blue, 8' vanishing edge raised 16-jet overspill spa, 2 12" waterfalls, tan shelf with bubbler.
    Pentair equipment: Easy Touch 8, Intellichlor IC-40, Intelliflo VF 3050, 2.5 hp Whisperflo spa pump, 1 hp Whisperflo water feature pump, Quad 100 DE filter, Master Temp 400 heater, Legend Platinum Cleaner (3/4 hp pump). Autofill, TF-100 Test Kit w/salt and borate strips.

Pisces Pool Build

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by Pisces
    You're getting there!! Almost....just a little longer. I'll be glad for you, when it's back to clean and sparkly!
    Thanks.

Getting there. Water is looking much better and can just about make out the bottom drain in the pool.

Tested this morning and this evening and no CC's with either test. Used about 2.5 FC today, added more bleach tonight.

Good thing recycle picks up tomorrow. Have about 8 big bottles of Clorox bleach for them lined up outside.
    My Pool Build

20. Back To Top    #20

Re: Your not alone.

I'm over in the arlington area and working on mine is well. (Day two, and making some progress with pump 24/7) Hang in there.
    Southern Ontario. Concrete Lazy L shape pool painted in 2005 with 2 part epoxy paint ,42 x 20 , 2.5 ft deep in shallow end , 8 ft in deep end, with what i calculate as an average depth of 6 to 6.5 ft. or approx 38300 Gal. 1HP pump , Hayward sand filter model S-220T rated at 2.64 ft.2 , 52 GPM , Intellichlor IC40 CG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast