White buildup on waterfall

Jan 25, 2016
mesa/az
Hello TFP members!

This is officially my first post on the forum, but I have benefited greatly cruising the forum since November when my pool got finished. Thank you for the site!

Anyways, here's the quick specs on my setup "This is my FIRST pool. Built by a local AZ company in DEC 2015. Roughly 16,000 gallon in ground pool with minipebble finish, in ground cleaners and a max depth of 5.5 ft. Hayward equipment: C4030 cartridge filter, SP3400VSP pump for the pool, SP3220EE pump for the waterfall/slide, and a goldline aqua plus controller with a T-15 SWG cell. TF-100 test kit."

My readings as of today are FC 4, CC 0, TA 80, CYA 55, Salt 2800, CH 275, PH 7.8. <-- I regularly have been adding Acid to keep this down, but plan on adding stabilizer to get CYA back up which I've read might naturally drop the PH...

First off, my 3 year old opened up a valve on the plumbing which made the pool drain 10-15% the night before last while the pumps ran. So, yesterday I topped off the pool (approx 2.5 hours to fill back up, and I filled it with soft water thinking the buildup on the waterfall was related to hard water)which is why some of the levels are low.

Here are the numbers I've been running pretty consistent up prior to the overnight draining! FC 5, CC 0, TA 90, CYA 75, Salt 3300, CH 350, PH 7.5.

Also, I have borates I added initially.

Here's the dilema, my waterfall is getting some white buildup on it. The tile around the pool shows no ring or buildup despite my lack of attention brushing the pool. The pool manufacturer came out and told me my Chlorine was high (which I already knew, but am having trouble finding a good setting on the Salt cell). He also said the PH was high and I needed acid.

The odd thing is, the white on the waterfall generally is concentrated in two areas. Can anyone tell from my tests what the buildup might be from? What should I be running for CH? Could it be salt?

I scrubbed it for a bit with a toothbrush and it lightened up a little bit...

Thanks!

Ill get a picture posted soon

If it is evaporated salt it should hose off pretty easily, maybe with a light brushing. If it is calcium build up then diluted muriatic acid and a brush. Start at 5 to 1, up to 3 to 1 if needed. Be careful!

PRETTY pool and area! CUTE little pool tech you have there! Bet he does not open any more valves after that one!

They have you covered on what to do with the deposits. Let us know which one works.

Is that net walkable? As WHEN your helper tries to walk on it will it hold him?

Kim

I will try the acid to clean it. Will that affect the paint on the concrete? Is there something I can do to prevent it from happening in the future? Is my CH too high?

As far as the net, it will hold 500 lbs. He has walked out on it to get a toy before and it held him no problem.

No, your CH is not high, many folks in AZ have CH in the 800-1200 range. It might help to keep your CSI slightly negative, -0.1 to -0.2. It will also help keep your SWG cell cleaner and is also better for your plaster generally. Poolmath calculates your CSI after you enter your test results, including water temp. Tweaking PH, TA and/or CH in your target numbers will show you what the CSI will do.

More here
Pool School - Calcium Scaling

and here
Langelier and Calcite Saturation Indices (LSI and CSI)

I have what looks to be the same rock on my waterfall (orange moss rock) and I have the same white scaling on ONE rock. Nothing on any of the others. Weird. I do not have SWCG and the pool is only 8 months old so I have no reason to think my salt is very high from chlorine. Everything tests within normal range (FC, PH, TA, CH, CYA). I took a wire brush to it (without scrubbing so hard it etches the rock since it's pretty soft rock) and it would not come off.

I'll be watching this to see if anyone comes up with a cause and if the acid wash works....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.