Too high of a pressure?

Jul 6, 2012
Palm Coast, FL
Running my system without the cartridge filter, the gauge reads 26psi. I bought a new gauge and it reads 22psi. With the filter in, its about 30 psi. Do I have a problem with high pressure? The gauge at the Caretaker in-floor system which is after the filter reads 10psi without the filter in. It reads 0 with the filter in. I think I need a new filter at least.

I have been learning more about the in floor systems, they seem to have higher pressures than a pool without them.. how much really depends on how each is installed..

Have you tried to clean your filters in a tsp soak?

Duh? The problem is that I have my variable speed pump turned up too high at 95%. If I lower the power to 50% I get around 10psi at the filter. However the psi of the Caretaker is 0psi and the power of the in-floor cleaning jets looks lower.

Recently I had to replace part of the pump motor that burnt out. I wonder if I wore it out by running it too high and at too high a pressure all these years since 2012.

What are the optimal settings for psi at filter and at Caretaker?

I'm doing a TSP soak now.

there is a screen that sits on top of the caretaker valve, the 2 large unions have to be unscrewed and then the 90 degree pipe can be pulled away and a screen will sit on top of the valve, it is a domed rigid screen that has to be positioned with the screen pointing up, do not install the screen pointing down towards the valve like a bowl, as this will cause rapid accumulation of debris that impedes water flow to valve, this screen is commonly overlooked and when dirty causes valve pressure to be low, and filter pressure to be high, caretaker valves in general can confuse someone who sees high filter pressure as dirty filter, etc.

check the screen regularly, you will be surprised what accumulates on it,and how often, the valve will need rebuilding from time to time also

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.