any experience with spring check valves or Compool 3 way?

Jun 24, 2007
I am trying to keep my spa from dropping an inch or two when actuator switches from pool to spa and back especially during freeze protection. It can drop several feet over night and go dry. So I think I will put check valves on the pool skimmer and pool drain lines right before the 3 way and pump. Logically that should keep water from crossing the Jandy 3 way (which has actuator) when switch every 15 minutes in freeze from spa drain to pool skimmer/drain line. I also want to put a check valve between the heater and SWCG as Pentair recommends. I realize I can use Jandy 7305. :hammer:

I am interested in some PVC Clear Spring Check Valves / 2" IPS SXS I believe them to be made by NDS Flow Control. http://www.ndspro.com/cms/index.php/13- ... NTROL.html

I am concerned about the style of these valves and wondered if anyone has experience with this type of valve. Would they slow the flow at all? Spring valves? I realize Jandy's have a door but takes virtually no flow to open and hold open. These have "1/2 pound spring" but does the water have to flow around a core somehow? I don't see a door like Jandy's. I would be adding three check valves altogether and don't want to impact flow. Will they work well and are they reliable from clogging etc. because I don't see how you would clear them as a Jandy.

Second question is about Compool 3 ways. Anyone have experience with Compool? Are they good because they are cheaper. Are they the same as a Pentair valve?
Any experience good or bad with these products is appreciated..... :wave:

plsbcheap said:
I am interested in some PVC Clear Spring Check Valves / 2" IPS SXS I believe them to be made by NDS Flow Control. http://www.ndspro.com/cms/index.php/13- ... NTROL.html

I am concerned about the style of these valves and wondered if anyone has experience with this type of valve. Would they slow the flow at all? Spring valves? I realize Jandy's have a door but takes virtually no flow to open and hold open. These have "1/2 pound spring" but does the water have to flow around a core somehow? I don't see a door like Jandy's. I would be adding three check valves altogether and don't want to impact flow. Will they work well and are they reliable from clogging etc. because I don't see how you would clear them as a Jandy.
I would stick to the Jandy. My main concern would be corrosion of the spring and that would cause the valve to stick. Also, The 'guts' on the jandy valves are user replacable so you don't need to cut out the old valve and put in a new one when it fails (and check valves DO fail!)

Second question is about Compool 3 ways. Anyone have experience with Compool? Are they good because they are cheaper. Are they the same as a Pentair valve?
Any experience good or bad with these products is appreciated..... :wave:
Compool is Pentair. Pentair is now releasing all their products under the Pentair name instead of under all the different names they had previously for stronger brand identification but they are the same product. IMHO, Compool/Pentair valves are every bit as good as Jandy!

Any check valve with a spring adds more resistance to flow than a check valve without a spring does. Generally the resistance to flow is still reasonably low, but even small resistances can add up with others and eventually become significant.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.