Automatic Pool Cover with vinyl into the channel instead of webbing

superjet

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 7, 2010
Kansas
Has anyone seen a cover where the vinyl goes all the way into the channel and around the rope instead of webbing? CoverCare is telling me that's the way their covers are built, but I can't find anything similar on the net.

Webbing seems to be the chronic problem on my covers.

Thoughts?

Haven't heard of the vinyl going into the tracks. I wouldn't think that it would have good wear characteristics. I also wouldn't think that it would glide easily enough.

Ask them to send you a sample for inspection.

Note: Automatic covers are usually mostly vinyl except on the sides where a different material is used to go around the ropes and inside the tracks.

Haven't heard of the vinyl going into the tracks. I wouldn't think that it would have good wear characteristics. I also wouldn't think that it would glide easily enough.

Ask them to send you a sample for inspection.

Note: Automatic covers are usually mostly vinyl except on the sides where a different material is used to go around the ropes and inside the tracks.

That's what I was thinking also. I've never seen a sample that included the rope. I'll call them to see if they can bring one over.

The vinyl for an company should not go around und the rope. This company has a relatively new website and I can't see any manufacturer affiliation. They may be making their own and doing it wrong. Hard to tell without a picture

Coverstar makes a cover with the vinyl around the rope but it costs more. I bought an off brand "Automatic Pool Cover Inc." replacement which was about a $1000 cheaper and thought that was what I was getting. It turns out as actually meshed webbing again which was what failed on our last Coverstar cover. We actually had the Coverstar cover restitched once before the cover was too old to repair again. So far we have not had any issues with our replacement cover going on three years.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am looking into who is using the grey rope right now. I know that this is webbing sewn onto vinyl. It looks like PCS to me.
I know that PCS is improving a lot of their processes since they were bought out by Coverstar and moved over to that facility. So there are some visual changes being made to the PCS products.

The only cover that Coverstar makes with vinyl around the rope on the sides is a manual snap down cover.

You can get the vinyl caught in the track if the guide feed on the end is loose. I have seen this happen and it looks like the vinyl is going straight into the track and covering the rope.

I am looking into who is using the grey rope right now. I know that this is webbing sewn onto vinyl. It looks like PCS to me.
I know that PCS is improving a lot of their processes since they were bought out by Coverstar and moved over to that facility. So there are some visual changes being made to the PCS products.

The only cover that Coverstar makes with vinyl around the rope on the sides is a manual snap down cover.

You can get the vinyl caught in the track if the guide feed on the end is loose. I have seen this happen and it looks like the vinyl is going straight into the track and covering the rope.

Thanks!

I'm pretty sure that no manufacturer would use vinyl around the ropes that go into the tracks. If anyone has pictures or written descriptions from manufacturers that indicate otherwise, please post the pictures or a link to the manufacturer's information.

I don't think it may be "vinyl" but they don't use the stitching that always seems to fail. They use some sort of a heat seal around the rope. This is from Coverstar Central.

Patented heat-sealed webbing
which is a substantial improvement over
industry standard sewn webbing and pro
-
vides significantly longer webbing life and
improved cover operation.

I don't think it may be "vinyl" but they don't use the stitching that always seems to fail. They use some sort of a heat seal around the rope. This is from Coverstar Central.

Patented heat-sealed webbing
which is a substantial improvement over
industry standard sewn webbing and pro
-
vides significantly longer webbing life and
improved cover operation.

Good info on an alternative cover. Thanks!

I think I have it pinned down -- cover is made by Automatic Pool Covers in IN. 18 oz vinyl cover with "vinyl" webbing, 1/4" woven nylon rope with Kevlar core. Does anyone have thoughts or experience with this cover manufacturer or choice of materials?

Was it shipped out of Indiana, there is a Coverstar/PCS facility there. Coverstar Central also has an office there. The picture you sent was not heat sealed webbing.

It looks like it might be Aquamatic Pool Covers

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.