Automation: intercepting data from Acu-Rite wireless sensors

robstar

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 13, 2015
Mountain View, CA
I've done something very similar with a very similar data stream.

The diagram for the RF-211 is just showing you that the period of the signal is constant and that the positive pulse width is what determines the value of the bit. I've seen this kind of encoding before.

Often there are unused bits in the stream, and if you can flush out the unchanging bits early on you can concentrate on figuring out the ones that do change.

Have you thought about using a variable power supply and changing it to see if you can identify the bits that carry battery status?

If you have the hardware, I've had much more success working the problem from the other direction. Now that you know the format of the data word, using a sound card or I/O card to modulate an RF source and sending test words to the receiver may let you progress faster. You can change bits and see the response (or lack thereof) on the display immediately. I wrote code to allow me to change the bits and send the data, and had much better success than trying to just figure the encoding out.

Have you thought about using a variable power supply and changing it to see if you can identify the bits that carry battery status?

If you have the hardware, I've had much more success working the problem from the other direction. Now that you know the format of the data word, using a sound card or I/O card to modulate an RF source and sending test words to the receiver may let you progress faster. You can change bits and see the response (or lack thereof) on the display immediately. I wrote code to allow me to change the bits and send the data, and had much better success than trying to just figure the encoding out.

Great ideas! Will try!

No input on your issue but I've had 3 of those over the past few years. When they work they're great but I find the lifespan to be maybe 6 months. I've seen other brands on amazon. Anyone have any comments/recommendations on other brand wireless thermometers?

Thread update! I put together an Arduino library, in case anyone's into that sort of thing: GitHub - robstarling/ArduRight: ArduRight Arduino library -- let me know if it works for you! It has an example and everything.

Referencing the picture in What encoding is used in this signal? - Electrical Engineering Stack Exchange , you'll need to solder wires to the "SH", "D", and "G" pins. To run the example sketch, connect those wires to pins 2, 7, and GND, respectively. I wouldn't worry too much about the dire "3.3V vs 5V warnings in the .h file -- it's working fine for me with a 5V Arduino.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.