Apr 12, 2016
Kershaw, South Carolina
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Ok, I have a fiberglass pool, new install last spring. Always clean and clear, but I'm looking for a robot to scrub the walls. Made a mistake and let the guy at Leslies talk me into a Polaris 825... even though I expressed my desire for a "smart" robot (he said it was) it is not, just an aimless wanderer.. cleans parts of the pool over and over and leaves other parts untouched... its going back!

ANYWAY...

Looking for a new bot.. leaning real hard towards the Dolphin Triton Plus. Seems to have features I want and like... pool mapping, top filters,caddy, remote.. stuff like that. My pool has steps, a sun ledge, and a toe ledge all the way around.. wanting to know if this Triton Plus will do these things or not. Especially that toe ledge, its about 5" wide and if it wont climb over it it won't do the waterline.
Not sure if any will climb that ledge but the vids I've seen show the Triton Plus doing a great job of climbing steps, if any will I'm thinking it will..

Whatcha think? suggestions??

Thanks.

Seems to do fine on the steps. Honestly, as well as it cleans... Even if I had to do the steps myself it is well worth it. My wife keeps searching for things to dislike about this robot, so far all she has come up with is that she thinks she might like having a bag instead of the cartridges. She thinks a bag would be easier to clean than the cartridge. I disagree. The top loading cartridges are very convenient and easy to clean.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have the Triton Plus. It climbs my steps just fine except for the top step which is too shallow. It also climbs from my 10' bottom right up the almost vertical wall to the tiles and then proceeds to clean the tiles also. I love this robot and have yet to find any fault with it. Be sure to get a caddy, almost required IMHO. The robot is fairly heavy out of the water and can become quite unwieldy. The caddy also stores the robot with the tracks raised so they don't flatten out. I use the remote to park the robot on the stairs when it is done which makes it easier for me to extract from the pool since I have a bad back. I really don't like to have to pull on the power cord to fish it out of the water.

Climbing is exactly as good. The M5, and M4 ( now 400 and 500 actually) have a bottom brush. In my view this makes them better. Just the M500 has a "Pro" remote with some extra features, and I like that too.

I was told that the bottom (center) brush on the 400 was not powered, do you know if that's the case?

No I dont. I don't know why it would be there unpowered however. I'd investigate that further, and if you find out, please let us know.

A guy at a pool store I called told me that, I went to the Maytronics site and yes indeed it is powered. I got to thinking about it after I asked you, and I too thought it made no sense so I did the research. Main difference I saw between the 400 and 500 is the 500 has the pro remote. ,
I'm thinking that center brush will help get the unit over my toe ledge... just when it gets over and lacking something to grab on to, the center brush will hit the ledge corner and send it the rest of the way.
I saw a YouTube video of exactly that... if I knew how to post it here I would.

Here is a try at the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80gplZNWd0Q

It worked:D, if you look down into the pool you can see the ledge about half way up the wall, that's what I have.

Yea, this comes up a lot regarding the brush getting the cleaner over obstacles, and I'm still neutral about it. In any event, glad you confirmed the powered brush question. I answered as diplomatically as possible, but couldn't imagine why he'd say that. Unfortunately, we see this a lot with Pool Stores etc.

Like Judge Judy says...if it doesn't make sense, it isn't true. (Quantum Physics aside.) :jocolor:

Patrick, I know you said you liked the pro remote better, care to elaborate a bit on that? The 400 comes with no remote with the basic as an option. What does the pro do different?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.