Another New Tester Wants Comments

Apr 6, 2016
Palmdale, CA
Good morning all. After years of struggling with an off-line chlorinator and then a brand new in-line last year I give up on chlorinators. I’ve decided to devote the time our pool deserves.
Hi my name is Augie and I’m an alcoholic….I mean I’m guilty of neglecting my pool.
A couple weeks ago Leslie’s told us our CYA was very high, I think it was over 150. We had not changed water in several years so we drained and refilled the pool. I started looking at you tube videos and came across the BBB method and this forum. I ordered a TF-100 test kit that I received yesterday. Here are the results of my first tests.
FC 2 – CC 0.5 – PH 7.5 – TA 160 – CH 280 – CYA 0 – Water Temp 68 – 16,500 gal
This pool is in the high desert of so Cal, full sun. Right now there is a solar cover on the pool.
So here is my rookie assessment, based on my numbers I have to issues to work on high TA and low CYA. Using the forums Pool Math Calculator here’s what I think I should do:
Raise the CYA with 92 oz of solid stabilizer. Giving it about a week to come up to a target of 40.
Lower the TA to 7.2 by lowering the PH to 7.2 using 37 oz (volume) of dry muriatic acid. I can later raise the PH by up by aerating.
Any suggestions? Comments? Thanks for reading.
augie

Welcome to TFP!

Congrats in advance on having a great summer! :paddle:

You are all over it and on the right track! Every time your PH gets above 7.8 lower it to 7.2 with muriatic acid. This will in turn lower your TA. Eventually the TA will find equilibrium and your PH will stop rising. This usually occurs at 60-80 ppm. More here on that, Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity

Welcome, Augie! :wave:

Congratulations on taking control and purchasing a proper test kit. :goodjob:

You've got it figured right!

Yes, target 40 on the CYA in case your pool isn't quite as large as you think, so you don't overshoot. You'll probably be happier in the 50-60 CYA range where you live, but you have a few weeks before things really heat up if you have to add more. If there are any trips planned this summer, leave room to use some pucks while you're gone.

Just lower the pH to 7.2 and don't waste time trying to aggressively aerate. pH will bounce back up plenty quick all by itself, possibly overnight. TA will come down over time as long as you keep the pH in range. It lowers faster if you stay at the low end of safe, 7.2-7.5. Look for Muriatic Acid. It's a liquid. The dry acid adds sulfur.

Don't neglect to raise the minimum and target FC levels after you add CYA. The first day isn't such a big deal, but from day 2 onwards, assume it's all there even if the stuff hasn't completely dissolved by then.

For your bleach and acid needs, you might want to check out HASA. It's full-strength stuff in refillable jugs. You pay once for the deposit on the crate and jugs and after that it's quite cheap.

Are using powered CYA? If so, I recommend putting it in a sock and hanging it in front of one of your returns. Give it a squeeze a couple of times a day and it will dissolve faster. The folks on this site are awesome. Welcome to the party!

You go girl! It really shows that you have been doing some (quite a bit really!) AND you have a great test kit and know how to use it!

How does your water look?

When you post your numbers can you post like this please?

FC
CC
PH
TA
CH
CYA

It is easier to read like this.

Can you also put more info. in your siggy-pool kind, filter kind, pool size (gals), test kit, etc. THANKS!

kim

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.