FAS-DPD never going clear?

ezil71

Apr 7, 2016
Tallahassee
First Post - thanks for all the outstanding info.

New pool owner as of last July, was paying someone way too much to do a terrible job and after learning a LOT on this and other sites decided to take it on myself. I've had a hot tub for 10+ years so I'm familiar with balancing water.

Long story short - my pool had/has several issues -

first mustard algae. Growing so much on the steps it was like velvet, could only scrape off with your fingernails. coating the entire vinyl liner.

second - staining - I have a TON of leaves. It's a struggle just to keep up when they are really coming down which seems to be almost always

My water is mostly balanced:

PH - 7.6
TA - 70
CH - 60
CYA - 48
Salt - 3100

Problem is when I run the DPD test it never turns clear/not pink. Being my first time running that test (Taylor Kit), I thought I must have just over shocked, but I've tried 4 times and have completely used up the reagent. I tried adding extra powder too, no difference.

I've turned of the SWG but I'm worried about my liner. I'd assume given the amount of algae there may be very high CC, would that throw off the test that much?

Needless to say I need more reagent but I thought I'd ask here in case there is something else I'm missing.

For the leaves, is there anything special I need to check or do given a very high volume of leaves?

Thanks in advance for all the help -

Ed

second - staining - I have a TON of leaves. It's a struggle just to keep up when they are really coming down which seems to be almost always

I couldn't keep up with leaves, no matter how much I cleaned my filter, the floor system wasn't running, etc.

Turns out, it was my "replacement filter" a third party one, was causing low water flow. Once I swapped it out for a genuine hayward, much better pressure.

I also have a mechanical timer and bought a few extra on/off switches. I decided to take my 8 hours/day and split it into 3 times/day for running. This kept the water moving more and let the skimmer get more leaves.

But low physical flow makes it harder to keep up with the leaves.

Just to be sure... you aren't trying to test the FC with the wrong reagent, are you? You wouldn't be the first person to grab the wrong bottle. I remember getting worried when my CH test was taking massive quantities of reagent and not turning. Using the TA reagent to check CH doesn't work, I discovered.

The FAS-DPD test uses R-0870 powder and R-0871 reagent to test FC, then you add the R-003 to check for CC, and R-0871 to titrate that. If you go straight to the R-003, it'll never change.

Welcome to TFP :)

From the sound of it you added the granules and it turned pink, then it never went clear.. A couple questions:

Are you using the 10ml sample size and multiplying by .5 ? if you are using 25ml it is using much more than needed.

CYA, you say 48, there is no 48 on the tube, does the dot disappear at 40, 50 or 60?

you only need to add enough powder to turn pink (1 to 2 scoops)

how many drops did you stop counting and started over? That will let us know how high you fc is above but will not let us know exactly where you are at, once you get more reagent we can find out..

Hope this helps :)

New pool owner as of last July, was paying someone way too much to do a terrible job and after learning a LOT on this and other sites decided to take it on myself. I've had a hot tub for 10+ years so I'm familiar with balancing water.

Long story short - my pool had/has several issues -

first mustard algae. Growing so much on the steps it was like velvet, could only scrape off with your fingernails. coating the entire vinyl liner.

My water is mostly balanced:

PH - 7.6
TA - 70
CH - 60
CYA - 48
Salt - 3100

Problem is when I run the DPD test it never turns clear/not pink. Being my first time running that test (Taylor Kit), I thought I must have just over shocked, but I've tried 4 times and have completely used up the reagent. I tried adding extra powder too, no difference.

I've turned of the SWG but I'm worried about my liner. I'd assume given the amount of algae there may be very high CC, would that throw off the test that much?

Needless to say I need more reagent but I thought I'd ask here in case there is something else I'm missing.

For the leaves, is there anything special I need to check or do given a very high volume of leaves?

Thanks in advance for all the help -

Ed

A basic question that lots and lots of people have done, are you using the R-0871? Lots or folks have accidentally used the R-0003.

Another idea: if you have the basic Taylor K-1000 OTO test (that you use to test your pH with....the block thingie)?? If you can test your chlorine with that also (adding the 5 drops of yellow reagent) what color does it show you? When chlorine is phenomenally high it goes deep orange, to brown even.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Are you using the TF-100 or K-2006? If the K-2006 check the lot number of your R-0871, is it from lot "B1067 Exp 05/17"?

Bingo - we have a winner.

Yep, that is the lot number I have. I assume I can just contact Taylor to get a replacement?

I though I was going crazy, it's been a while since my chemistry lab days but I knew I wasn't using the wrong bottle and was mixing it well!

Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.