Should I convert to SWG?

Quiggs

Apr 11, 2016
Chester Springs PA
Hi, new to this forum but faithful follower of household bleach system for 14 years without any problems. Have manual systems and I'm planning on changing to automatic likely with EasyTouch8 and want some type of automation for chlorine. I'm sick of lugging up bleach, having to hire someone when I'm away to dump chlorine, and the rest of the family having no desire to learn how to manually change valves for the spa mode, which becomes a costly disaster. I'm considering either a Stenner pump (would be shaded) vs. SWG. My pool pH runs high normally likely due to bushes, flowers, mulch, dirt sits up to entire back edge of kidney shaped pool. If I do convert to SWG would need an acid pump. I feel if I'm away and the pH goes haywire, I'll come back to some severe and costly problems. I read the posts, watched you tube videos, and am feeling if I don't have complaints about the quality of the water, have managed well with household bleach, costs the same, and don't want to relearn with SWG, stick to what I know. Seems less risky to my existing equipment too. Am I missing something? Thoughts and/or recommendations? Thanks!!

Welcome to TFP!

Either a SWG or a Stenner pump is a great way to automate the chlorine additions.

The rising pH could be due to other factors such as the TA level. Please post up all test results and how you test for them and we might be able to offer some advice on your situation to control the pH.

Also, a signature with your pool specs and equipment will be helpful.

Welcome to TFP, sounds like you have been doing great for awhile :) Did you originally get the info for using bleach here or did someone else turn you onto it?

Only 1 thing :) A SWG pool is a chlorine pool, it just adds chlorine while your pump runs and you don't have to haul any bleach.. As far as you PH rising if you lower your TA down to 70 or so it will help.. I only add muriatic acid about once a month now and I have a SWG. The only new thing you will need to know is how much salt to add and poolmath does that for you :)

Since your going with automation it will be really easy to add a SWG and be able to assign things by having the family push a button, it really makes it easy.. The SWG will need to be "tweaked" during the year by running the pump/swg longer or turning up the % it is at.. We recommend about 2 to 4 times the size SWG to your pool.

Hope that helps

I just bought a Hayward AquaPlus system which comes with a 40K salt cell and can control the pump, SWG, light and 2 valves for spa/pool mode control. It is still sitting in the box, since it was snowing last weekend so no real review yet. But I found the cost to be minor to upgrade to the PL-Plus once I was set on a Hayward salt cell. I plan to limit it to local control, but hope it will ease the process. The aquaplus also can have ph sensing added if you would like, obviously everything comes at a cost based on what you need. I also need to add a GFCI to my light circuit and replace some old equipment so this really worked for me. Otherwise I may have just opted for the Aquarite salt system.

AquaPlus | Automation | In Ground Pool Automation - Hayward Pool Products

Thanks everyone! I learned about using bleach from poolforum.com then I think it became poolsolutions.com and am grateful for their direction for years. My pool is currently still closed (had snow last week) but will post test results once opened. I plan on putting a signature line as soon as I find some model numbers for my equipment. I've decided to go for the SWG and work on getting my pH down again and look at the TA. I will definitely be looking for advice once the SWG is in. Thanks again!

A comment on SWG and PH..........I have SWG and never have a problem with PH. I might have to adjust at opening but after that normally my PH stays right about 7.5 over our 5-6 month open time for pool. My TA stays low. 60-70 I think. Haven't even tested for that yet this season.

SWG is SO much better than lugging bleach. I believe people say it evens out, but even if it costs a little more, the convenience is 100% worth it. I still add acid every two weeks, even with a TA of 50-60 and minimal outgassing (low flows, no weird water features), so I'll leave it up to the others to guide you on that. But don't hesitate on getting an SWG.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.