Houston (Katy) Pool Build - Started April 2016

philboyj

Gold Supporter
Jul 8, 2015
Houston TX
Its been a whirlwind past 7 days. Got our HOA approval and in three days flat we had a gunite shell.

Building in Katy with a local builder who was previously mentioned on TFP - so this forum has been truly a blessing for me. As a first time pool owner, taking the time to read through the other builds really made me educated about the process. I really dont feel like I am a first timer at all - that how valuable this forum is and all the helpful people here.

We felt that the geometric modern look fit our house design better. So, with modern in mind, it was always about less being more. With every item we add, we tried to take out 2 more items. The overall design has elements from the many wonderful geometric pools here: ccHopkins pool in Dallas, Pierre Espejo's pool in Houston ( I met with Pierre in this process - thanks again for all your advice) , HHuang's pool in Naples, Florida. Being a golf addict, I am also planning for an outdoor putting green as Phase 2. Artificial grass may also be a part of my project - those items are still up in the air.

Some pictures of the house, backyard and design.

Day 1 - Layout and Dig

Day 2 - Rebar and Plumbing stubout's

Day 3 - Gunite

Pool Builder Kelly O'Leary was on site on all three days plus on clean up day.

The gunite was done by South Bay Gunite. Great crew.

Day 4 - Day of rest for everybody :)

Day 5 - PB's clean up crew came out to remove all the excess gunite and remove all the forms. Take out all the iron rods and nails used for layout and alignment. Site is ready for plumbing and electrical crew. I was not expecting this step and it was a pleasant surprise. Three person cleaning crew along with a bobcat!!

PB supervising cleaning crew and also watering the gunite while he was there. Very hands on - I am very pleased to have selected O'Leary pools since I am dealing directly with the owner who has a construction background rather than a sales person.

All clean and done :)

Quick question: Has anyone used marble pavers? It is available from our local supplier Keystone. Have not seen this anywhere else.

It matches our selection of coping...same material. And will probably look good with the TPF standard glass tile. This tile is on so many pools here - it was such an easy decision :) They really should give a discount to TFP members for promoting their products!!

Marla - That remains a concern. PB assures me that it will be similar to travertine pavers. These will be the tumbled variety ofcourse - not honed and polished like marble usually is. I may not even seal it.

Water splashing and suntan overspray can probably make for a slippery surface. So still weighing my options.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Beautiful job! Can't wait to see this one. My pool has some of the same elements, like those stepping stones in the pool, I love that look! My first design was like yours with the steps in front of the spa but I ended up moving it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Beautiful job! Can't wait to see this one. My pool has some of the same elements, like those stepping stones in the pool, I love that look! My first design was like yours with the steps in front of the spa but I ended up moving it.

Hi Indigo - If you have a link or pic of your pool build, please post. Indigo blue color is the finish we we are seriously considering from Wet Edge Prism Matrix - Indigo Blue. Waiting to get upgrade cost. May end up with white plaster after all is said and done...lol

New pool! Finishing today!

Here's a link

Indigo blue is was my obsession, lol I wanted a dark deep blue on a budget hahaha so I had to settle for DB and I love my color! I hope the link works

Here's a picture from right after the pool was finished
ce1bdcd6234cfec973a1d2d1c4d4ec8a.jpg

Try the link for more pictures.

Here's a link

Indigo blue is was my obsession, lol I wanted a dark deep blue on a budget hahaha so I had to settle for DB and I love my color! I hope the link works

Here's a picture from right after the pool was finished
ce1bdcd6234cfec973a1d2d1c4d4ec8a.jpg

Try the link for more pictures.

Indigo - So many similarities between our pools. I read through that entire build thread just now - you definitely have a creative side. The firebowl was a neat little project. Not buying it makes it so much special and unique. And that picture with the firebowl in front and pool in the background - that was the money shot!!

Btw, I love deep blues. Also, we forked out $20K for an artificial grass putting green (4 cups) and a sand bunker in our yard. Too cool. Loves. We chip from the yard but also have a grass mat on the deck. Our designers were all former golf people: former pro for the green design, and two former green keepers for the drainage and surround. Had other estimates, but went with real golf people.

- - - Updated - - -

Golf balls HAVE ended up in the pool. The dreaded draw.

LOVE everything about your pool! The tiles LOL yeah they should be paying TFP for those due to sheer numbers of pools here with them!

I think the coping being that marble should be fine as far a slippery as there is not that much of it so..........just use care when popping out of the pool.

That white with the blue glass tile---------pretty BLING!

Kim

Btw, I love deep blues. Also, we forked out $20K for an artificial grass putting green (4 cups) and a sand bunker in our yard. Too cool. Loves. We chip from the yard but also have a grass mat on the deck. Our designers were all former golf people: former pro for the green design, and two former green keepers for the drainage and surround. Had other estimates, but went with real golf people.

- - - Updated - - -

Golf balls HAVE ended up in the pool. The dreaded draw.
MarianParoo - would love to see a pic of your putting green. The cost is why it's probably going to phase 2. If they do a good job, it should be as good as hard scape. I'll post some pics of the artificial grass and turf I have along with estimates.

How big of a yard do you have, that you can draw the ball?[emoji108] [emoji108]

LOVE everything about your pool! The tiles LOL yeah they should be paying TFP for those due to sheer numbers of pools here with them!

I think the coping being that marble should be fine as far a slippery as there is not that much of it so..........just use care when popping out of the pool.

That white with the blue glass tile---------pretty BLING!

Kim
Thanks Kim.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.