How to Prevent Clogs from Small Debris?

Mar 27, 2015
CHANDLER, AZ
First, I wanted to say thanks because my pool cleaner stopped working two weeks ago and this forum helped me get it working again without even needing to ask a question. I diagnosed the problem as a clogged pipe underground between the cleaner and the pump. I didn't really know a good way to get it out other than a drain snake, so I did a little research in this forum and found reference to a "Drain King" attachment to push out the clog using reverse water flow from a garden house. I had to go back and forth with reverse/forward flow 4 times, but it did get the clog out for a cost of $12 and about an hour of my time. Again, big thanks!

Background: My pool cleaner is a Baracuda G3 and I have a Hayward inline leaf basket in the cleaner hose. The clog was made up of a bunch (enough to fill a 24oz cup) of tiny stems that fall from my neighbor's tree. These are about 1 to 2 inches long and only 1 to 2 mm in diameter, so some of them get through the holes in the inline leaf basket. I wouldn't say this is a huge problem since it's only happened once since I installed the inline leaf basket 15 years ago, but I'd like to prevent it from happening again. Additionally, the same tree drops A LOT of other small debris that is about the size of a grain of rice and floats. Some of it gets through the skimmer basket and gets jammed into the small holes in the pump basket and can reduce water flow to where both the cleaner and skimmer stop working effectively in as little as 3 days if conditions are "right".

I keep the tree trimmed so it doesn't overhang my pool or yard, but the tree is over 30-feet tall and the edge of my pool is only 5 feet from the property line. Even slight breezes in the right direction can dump a lot of debris into my pool.

I was wondering if maybe fine mesh liners exist that I can put in the inline leaf basket, the skimmer basket, and the pump basket to catch the smaller debris? Other suggestions?

Welcome, I am glad you got the help needed :)

I have a new type inline leaf basket, I wonder if it may work better, it worked great for me.. Amazon.com : Zodiac Cyclonic Automatic Pool Cleaner Leaf Catcher Canister : Patio, Lawn Garden

As for the skimmer basket, people have been using these with good luck Disposable Hair Net, Spun-Bonded Polypropylene, White, 100 per Bag: Science Lab Hairnets: Amazon.com: Industrial Scientific

Hope this helps, check out some of the links in my sig for some more helpful stuff :)

hairnets or knee-high stockings are both cheap ways to catch that stuff in the skimmer. I wouldn't put anything in the pump strainer - if something goes wrong and it ends up in the impeller, everything could go sideways in a big hurry. I'm not sure about the inline leaf catcher. Is there a way to line the basket with a knee-high? I'd certainly try.
Skimmer basket nets
Skimmer Sock/Nylon Illustrated

Thanks! I think a knee-high will work easily in the inline basket if the hair net doesn't. I empty my skimmer daily, but the inline and pump basket only once a week. I really only need the extra fine screens for 2 or 3 months of the year, so even if I just threw them away every time I emptied the basket, it would be only $15/year.

I was thinking about trying to make something a little more robust out of window screen, but cheap and disposable is way simpler.

Any issues with restricting the flow using the hair net or stockings?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.