Getting the right wall and floor foam

I am installing an 27' round above ground salt water pool (52" high). I live in Canada and the weather is not as warm as you folks down south so to ease the heating bill I want to install floor foam and wall foam.

For the floor it was suggested by a friend that I install 1" or 1-1/2" rigid 3m foam boards overtop of the sand floor base and put a geotextile carpet overtop of it. I'm trying to find an installation video of this type of floor in particular on how close to come to the perimeter of the pool wall or do you create a foam slab that extends beyond the walls (except under the wall posts are where I am going to use cement patio square.

For the wall foam what height foam roll do I get? I see only 48" wall foam. I plan on putting foam coves but I initially thought the 48" would be enough but after reading I saw that you adhere the wall foam with adhesive first than edhere the foam coves to that. If that is the case 48" high wall foam doesn't seem to be enough or do you leave a gap at the top of the liner?

And lastly as part of the ground prep I am concerned about frost heaving and snow melting in the spring. Should I install drainage pipes to route the spring runoff around my pool to prevent frost heaving?

Welcome, I am glad you are thawing out :)

I used 3/4 inch foam for under the pool, mine is 32x16 (you can see pic's in my pool build in sig) so it worked perfect for me, for a round pool most do it the same way and just cut the corners off... The 1/8 inch foam for the walls is almost not even worth it, it would almost be better to somehow go thicker, something like this Shop Kingspan Insulation R1 Faced Polystyrene Foam Board Insulation (Common: 0.25-in x 4-ft x 50-ft; Actual: 0.25-in x 4-ft x 50-ft) at Lowes.com I am not sure how easy it would bend but 1/4 inch would be better at insulating but its still only R1...

Someone else will need to talk frost heaving, none of that going on here :)

cowboycasey thanks for the welcome. I looked at your pics, while they are informative it doesn't really pertain to me because I have a rigid wall and the wall post are a bit different but its a very nice setup you did there.

I need information on where to stop the foam floor. Do I run well outside the pool perimeter and install the whole pool on top of the foam floor or do I install the complete perimeter of the pool on a sand basewith the foam laid right up to the adge of the pool? What do I do with the foam coves, Are they installed on top of the foam floor or do I install the foam floor so it butts up against the coves? How do I handle the wall braces? I plan on putting a cement pad under each if them. Should I cut out the foam floor to install cement pads? I really need detailed information on how to install the foam floor in respect to the pool and how the foam coves are to installed.

Any help would be welcomed and appreciated :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.