Overwhelmed by new Pool Pump decision - advice needed

Nov 1, 2015
Richardson, Texas
A few weeks ago, my 10+ year old pump started acting up and finally gave up and died. After doing what I could to see if it was anything I could repair and calling (much to my disdain) a local "pool guy" to come out and see, he confirmed that it was dead. I would like to get a Variable speed pump and after much research, decided on a Pentair Intelliflo 011018. As the warranty involves having a licensed pool guy install, my guy was asked for advice and he found me a Pentair 011017 which has the additional SVRS feature. Of course, I've also been seeing the feedback on the 011055 with the display that would not have to be upside down in our installation. I had finally made my mind up (011018, but drool over the 01055 because it's not available on-line) and someone said - "I think you are being oversold - why would you want to install a 3HP pump, when you are replacing a 1.5HP pump". So now I doubt all my research and want to ask everyone here....what's your advice?

Without knowing your equipment setup it is really hard to advise (i.e. add signature with equipment). But if you don't have a spa or other high volume water feature, one of the other VS pumps like the SuperFlo VS might be a better choice. But again, it kind of depends on your entire equipment setup.

Also, more than likely your old pump is repairable so if you want to go that route and get most of the energy savings of a VS, you could replace the motor with a two speed motor. I just want to make sure you understand all your options.

BTW, that web site has incorrect information. The MaxFlo does have an automation option. I also disagree with their premise that the top of the line is always necessary.

Ok so with the spa, you want something that can at least deliver the same flow rate as your old pump when the spa is engaged so you will probably need to go with one of the larger VS pumps.

But was the old pump sufficient or were the jets fairly weak?

Also do you know which model pump you actually have (e.g. TriStar, SuperPump, Northstar, etc)?

Ok so with the spa, you want something that can at least deliver the same flow rate as your old pump when the spa is engaged so you will probably need to go with one of the larger VS pumps.

But was the old pump sufficient or were the jets fairly weak?

Also do you know which model pump you actually have (e.g. TriStar, SuperPump, Northstar, etc)?

Thanks again for your follow up, mas985 :)- it was a Hayward pump, (I want to say SuperPump, but I'm at work and can't remember) it had under another "brand label" as it was purchased by the previous home owner from Leslie's Pools. The old pump was OK, but could have been better, I have 2" pipes. There are two skimmers, 5 jets, not including the one used by Pool Cleaner or any in the spa. (Don't know if that info helps....) It was actually the motor that went out, but the pump was pre-any of the models that had handles or screws to open the basket cover.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, the SuperFlo VS would probably be a bit iffy on flow rate for the jets so you are probably better off with the Intelliflo, assuming you want Pentair equipment.

But for your location, a two speed pump would work well too and save almost as much as what the VS pump can save in energy costs.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.