Yellowish Water?

FlyAU98

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 6, 2014
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
I thought the pool water looked a little yellow yesterday evening. There were some clouds, but a bright sunset, so I thought it could have just been the ambient lighting. I hadn't fully tested the water in about a week, so I decided to take a look at it. I got a CC reading of 0.5, which is unusual for me...I had a fresh load of Chlorine from the pool store (and its 2 for 1 every weekend in April...so its cheap!) so I decided to bump it up to shock for the night...I had a little bit left in the jug after measuring out about 132oz so I dumped it all in. The TA was also a bit low, so I added in 73oz (weight) of Baking Soda first thing this morning.

It looked better to me this morning, but since I'm leaving the pool in my wife's hands for a few days, I thought I'd wash out the cartridge filter. See pictures below...
FullSizeRender-2.jpg

Washing it out:
FullSizeRender.jpg

After the cleaning:
FullSizeRender-1.jpg

The pool now:
IMG_1203.jpg
(there is some permanent staining along the wall the cleaner hose is against...previous owner left it for me)

Test Date 4/10/16 4/11/16
FC 9 24
CC 0.5 0
TC 9.5 24
pH 7.5 7.9
CH 450 425
TA 60 90
CYA N/A 25

CYA is lower than I thought it would be. It had been around 35 throughout January-March. I had't tested it since March 17th, but have used some pucks on and off when we've been on short trips throughout 2016.

We haven't had much rain, so I've been refilling a bit more than normal from evaporation.

With spring in Florida, I've had a fair amount of pollen/tree stuff in the pool that I've had to stay on top of skimming out. I assume most of it is Pine tree or oak tree pollen and oak leaves. I don't think I've had enough leaves or leaves that have been in long enough to stain the water.

When I clean the filter (maybe once per month or month and a half) its usually just 'dirty' (grayish water with dirt flakes and the pleats are grayish), not like this.

Any ideas?

TF100 test kit.

My wife's mornings don't support her eagerly doing a OCLT. So we are proceeding with keeping FC elevated while I'm gone. I threw in a couple tablets to provide cover for her forgetting. ;)

She said she has noticed some yellow pollen on her car...so hopefully that's what it is.

Thanks for the quick responses!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.