Question about installing my Autopilot

lovingHDTV

LifeTime Supporter
May 25, 2007
Round Rock, TX
I looked at the installation manual, but would like to get one clarification.

It shows that the Autopilot should be connected to the pump load side. I have a two speed pump and want the Autopilot to only run when the pump is on the low speed. The only time I use high is for the spa, and 1 hour per day for the cleaner.

So I assume that I want to hook my Autopilot to the low speed side. This also means that it will only get power when the low speed pump is on. Correct?

thanks,
dave

That depends on how your system is wired. Can you tell us how everything is setup? When using an external controller, you want the AutoPilot to be on while the pump is running and water is going to the pool. If the pump is always on high speed when water is going to the spa then your plan sounds reasonable.

Hopefully you will have enough flow on low speed for the manifold to work correctly. It should be fine but guessing flow rates is a bit tricky.

My pump is wired to the Autopilot, with a timer to turn on the Autopilot. Pump program 1 runs for 1hr/high speed, fills the spa and moves allot of surface stuff to the skimmers. Then runs on low speed for 10hrs. Pump program 2 turns on for 1 hr then timer shuts everything down.

Per my PB I have a 4 hour turn over when my 2hp pump is running which I figure puts me at ~64gpm. So I then figure at low speed I have 32gpm which should be enough for my SWG.

I have a Intermatic P1353 three circuit timer that controls three dpst motor controllers for 1. high speed, 2. low speed, 3. booster pump. It is set up in mode 4, which ensures that 1 & 2 are never on at the same time, and that 3 can only turn on after 1 has been on for 30 seconds.

When I use my spa I change the return and supply valves (manually) and turn on high speed pump. At this time I really don't want the SWG to be running. For my daily operation I have the return and supply valves set for pool only, then there is a bypass valve to provide water to the spa for the spill over and ensure the spa is always being chlorinated.

I run the low speed 22 hours per day and the high speed/booster pump for 2 hours per day. I would like the SWG to only run while the low speed pump is running. So I was thinking I would power the AutoPilot from the load side of the low speed pump (circuit 2).

does this make sense?

dave

That all sounds good. As long as the manifold is installed in the pool return after the valve that diverts to the spa you are all set. If the manifold is before that valve there is a risk that you will set the controls inconsistantly and the cell could come on while you were is spa mode. That wouldn't be the end of the world, but the chlorine level in the spa could get quite high before you noticed.

The AutoPilot Digital and Total Control systems are capable of acting as a timer for the pump but given your setup you have more control if you don't use that aproach.

The AutoPilot should always be setup for the same voltage as the pumps.

LovinHDTV,

Jason, the Lion King, once again, is correct. Now I can retire! :-D

With what you're describing, you can wire the Digital to the load side, to the same terminals that your low speed is wired. Then the Digital will only come on when Low speed is on.
Do not connect the pump through the Digital, but instead, use your Intermatic time clock for a 2 speed pump.

Ok so it has been a while, but here are a couple before and after pictures.

I've had the AutoPilot for ~1 month now and love it! I had some initial problems, but they were more than likely user error as it all appears to be working great now. I'm soooo glad I did this.

Before:
<a>
107.jpg
</a>

After:
<a>
108.jpg
</a>

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
lovingHDTV said:
Ok so it has been a while, but here are a couple before and after pictures.

I've had the AutoPilot for ~1 month now and love it! I had some initial problems, but they were more than likely user error as it all appears to be working great now. I'm soooo glad I did this.

loving HDTV
I also have a gas heater on the outlet side of my pump. But, my pool dealer said I could not use a SWG as the high chlorine level may migrate "back" to the heater core and cause the heater tubes to corrode. How did you isolate the SWG from the heater to ensure no backflow when the pump is off? Your pictures seem to show no dip loop or check valve present-or maybe I just can not discern what I am looking at in the pictures. I myself am tired of the daily chlorox adds and want to hook upo a SWG

Remember too that the AutoPilot manifold acts as a "Hartford Loop" to prevent any backflow of chemicals back to the heater. Also, with a SCG, the production of chlorine stops when the flow stops, with a little residual discharge of the cell producing a little bit of chlorine. However, since chlorine is heavier than water, the tendency is for the chlorine to flow towards the pool, rather than up over the manifold loop, and back to the heater.

I wouldn't worry about adding the check valve.

Poolsean said:
Remember too that the AutoPilot manifold acts as a "Hartford Loop" to prevent any backflow of chemicals back to the heater. Also, with a SCG, the production of chlorine stops when the flow stops, with a little residual discharge of the cell producing a little bit of chlorine. However, since chlorine is heavier than water, the tendency is for the chlorine to flow towards the pool, rather than up over the manifold loop, and back to the heater.

I wouldn't worry about adding the check valve.

Umm . . . what he said . . . yeah . . .

Honestly, I asked this question before installing it and above is the answer Sean gave me before. At least he is consistant :)

You can see the back flow preventing valve between my tablet dispenser and the heater as the PB put it in. I had to remove it to fit the SWG in there, but Sean had told me that it would be ok to do so.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.