Refractometer and Salinity Measurements are unexpected...

taekwondodo

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 26, 2009
Question,

I'm using my refractometer http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...gX-lJ39s0yKdBlR6w&sig2=qGB1soPRqG8NtsQFuD1iPg from my SW reef tank to measure the Salinity in my Pool. I also checked the calibration of the Refractometer this morning.

What's weird, is I'm getting a 5PPT (5000ppm) reading - considering I only added (for the first time) about 2PPT last weekend - and then just finished draining 1/2 the pool cause my CYA was still well over 100 - for the life of me, where is this salt reading coming from? This is weird, because a refractometer is supposed to be "spot-on".

Other than "best guess" (I put XXX lbs of salt in YYY pool) - what other methods are people using to measure Salt?

You can measure salt levels with a refractometer? I guess there are more than one kind of refractometer. They are used to measure sugar. I use one for brewing wine and beer to check the Brix (gravity) of my Wine Must or Beer Wort. I have only seen refractometers that have wither a Brix or Specific Gravity scale to view.

I am also a reefer and I'm putting in my first SWG. I love this site!!

I think I've got this figured out, as I'm inclined to use my refractometer as well.

The refractometer gives the specific gravity, in

(grams of sample) / (grams of pure water), or grams/grams, so unitless.

Water with solute dissolved in it will have greater mass than an equivalent volume of pure water, so the number is >1.

For reef tanks, its about 1.0025, roughly sea water.

In other woords, 2.5 thousands of a gram of salt are dissolved in every gram of water.

Or, 2.5 grams of salt per 1000 grams of water.

THe recommended salinty for our aquarite pools is about 3000 ppm (parts salt per million total parts, and since there is so little salt relatively speaking, it is really parts salt per million parts water).

3000ppm is really 3000 grams salt per million grams water.

3000/1000000= .003

Use your refractometer and adjust the water to 1.003.

Having said all that, I will be getting test strips for doulbe check. If they are different, I won't be sure which to believe. THe refractometer is supposedy dead on accurate once calibrated with distilled water. . .

Been doing reefs since the 70s when there was very little info on them so my knowledge of them is probably on par with my knowledge of pools. Have used refractomers, hydrometers of various types, and conductivity meters. For tanks I prefer a large sized glass hydrometer. For pools I prefer the strips or (If you REALLY know how to do it properly) a titration test for chloride ions.
IF you have a LOT of tanks (in my heyday I has 9 going at once) or a lot of pools to monitor such as a pool supply store service tech (been there and done that too) then I would have to say the conductivity meter is the best choice BUT it does need to be calibrated readily with the proper standard solution)

My 2 cents.

Oh-oh-oh-oh... I have a Lamotte Chloride kit from my Discus days (wow, that was a while back). What Chloride reading should I be looking for (if the reagents are still good). My Jandy says I'm at 3200ppm, but my feeling is that it's just a conductivity reading/interpretation - not that it matters much. I also have a conductivity meter from the discus/angel freshwater period (now I have a 125G FW planted, and a 20G "mini" reef that won't die).

In the '90s, I had over 1000g of tanks in the basement in the 'burbs of Chicago and so many angelfish I had every store and wholesaler stocked within a 50 mile radius - and was still flushing them :roll: .

Now, if I even mention the word "discus" around the house, the wife glares... :evil: (feels eyes on back of head)

- Jeff

taekwondodo said:
Oh-oh-oh-oh... I have a Lamotte Chloride kit from my Discus days (wow, that was a while back). What Chloride reading should I be looking for (if the reagents are still good). My Jandy says I'm at 3200ppm, but my feeling is that it's just a conductivity reading/interpretation - not that it matters much. I also have a conductivity meter from the discus/angel freshwater period (now I have a 125G FW planted, and a 20G "mini" reef that won't die).
I would doubt it is still good. I use a Taylor chloride test kit (sllver nitrate titration with chromate indicator) but it is a PITA. I prefer the strips, which are actually capillary titrators.and use the silver nitrate without the chromate indicator. Both are calibrated to express the results in ppm but chloride and conductivity are not going to be exactly the same. However, they are close enough for government work!) If your conductivity meter is not set up to read in ppm or ppt salt (needs an adjustable correction factor built in to do it right) then it will probaby be a PITA to use also.

brackishpoolboy, welcome to TFP!

I think you added an extra zero in one of your numbers. Ocean water varies somewhat, but is typically around 35 ppt (parts per thousand), which would be a specific gravity of 1.0264 and a refractive index of 1.3394. Water for a SWG is usually around 3 ppt salt, which would have a specific gravity of about 1.0023 and a refractive index of about 1.337.

JasonLion said:
brackishpoolboy, welcome to TFP!

I think you added an extra zero in one of your numbers. Ocean water varies somewhat, but is typically around 35 ppt (parts per thousand), which would be a specific gravity of 1.0264 and a refractive index of 1.3394. Water for a SWG is usually around 3 ppt salt, which would have a specific gravity of about 1.0023 and a refractive index of about 1.337.

I stand corrected. My refractometer has both ppt and sg, and agree with your numbers.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.