Will green swamp condition ruin a cartridge filter?

ETS

In The Industry
Apr 22, 2009
My more experienced colleagues at the pool store say that a bad algae bloom will ruin the element, even a new one.
I suppose it's possible but, being the eternal skeptic, I'm not convinced.
What say you?

Since the fillaments in the cartridge are what trap particles, the more trash that builds on them, the more stress they are under. As you hose off the cartridge, you will notice that over time, it does not completely get clean. So, the faster you get the cartridge "dirty" the more stress on the fillaments and the shorter the lifespan of the cartridge.

Not normally, no. The only way you might damage it quickly is if you let the cartridge get way way too dirty and the pressure goes way up. Other than that we are talking about small differences over years.

That's what I figure too, Jason. Maybe if the algae was so thick you could walk across the pool on it, but then I would recommend pumping it out and starting over rather than trying to filter it out.
These guys are telling customers to toss their filters after cleaning up a cloudy green pool, even if their carts were new to begin with. They aren't doing it just to make money. They honestly believe they are ruined.

ETS said:
They aren't doing it just to make money. They honestly believe they are ruined.
That is because someone told them that, probably a manufacturer or distributor. As Budster and Jason pointed out, excessive algae blooms (such as seen with too high a CYA level) can shorten filter life but one bloom, no matter how bad (and even with a biguanide pool) will NOT ruin a filter cart! I also work in the industry but since it's not my primary occupation I have been laid off (It was a summer job and part time job while the school I work at is in session) because of the economy. If you are gong to work in a pool store you have to realize that your primary job is to sell stuff, NOT to educate or help pool owners. Your job is to drain their wallets and this mindset goes from the stores to the distributors to the manufacturers! It's the way the industry is.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.