New memeber with a question or two

Apr 10, 2016
Punta Gorda Fl
Hi all, newby here and newby to pools. We have a salt water approx 9000 gal. It has solar heat. We live in SW fl, punta gorda area.

I've attached a pic of my main prob, (the water tests fine per pool company)...the one valve on the right in the pic is frozen, I think its the return side. I can open the one on the left, and you can hear water rush through PVC. The main solar valve in the bottom section is selected to off or close, but the water is will still rush through when I moved the valve to the left. I can live with that and it is prob normal, however the valve on the right is frozen. I can't turn it no matter what. You can see one of the dog ears have been broken off as well in an attempt to move it.

I was wondering if I cut out the area and install a new valve, no prob but will water come gushing out? I am not sure if there is water on the bottom of the valve waiting to be opened. I know its spring and won't need to solar soon anyways, but the inspector missed this thing on the home inspection.

The other thing is water....we are in an enclosed screen lanai, but I guess those little bugs still get in...I keep skimming the top but I guess that is something we have to live with? The house was empty for 2 months, but did have pump on, but nobody skimmed the surface with a net. Just wondering.

Great forum, and hope to learn much here.

Attachments

• pool1.jpg
    pool1.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 72
  • pool.jpg
    pool.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 69
My assumption is those red valves feed the solar. Show us a better picture of your whole system, particularly the pipe going into the pump. I would like to see if you have a check valve in that pipe.

Moving the Jandy valve on the ground so that handle points toward the camera will route water to the pipe on the right and up to solar. The left pipe is returning from solar. Those red handled ball valves always freeze up after a couple of years. It is best to use Jandy or Pentair never lube style valves.

As Duraleigh mentions check valves are required for solar plumbing and it doesn't look like yours has them from the pics you posted.

There are pics of my solar plumbing and check valves in my build thread, link in sig below. The left pipe goes up to solar and the right pipe is returning from solar.

Jetdoc, for your bug issue, yes, they can be a nuisance. Good water movement towards the skimmer and/or manual skimming of the surface is about all you can do. You may also want to try a "skimmer sock" in your poolside skimmer. Basically it's a fine netting material like an old knee-high nylon, paint strainer net, etc that we place in the skimmer basket. It catches many of those small pesky buggers that would otherwise slip right through the basket and get to the main filter. Works well and helps lighten the load on the main filter.

Yes, with some careful planning ahead, just about all the PVC required can be obtained at your local hardware store. If you decide to upgrade any of the valves as noted above, those you could get at a local pool supply store, or order on-line. If you have a question about a specific valve, let us know. Water out of the pipes? .... Maybe some residual from above, but with the valves closed and/or system turned-off during the work, you should have no problems other than some local run-off from the nearby pipes once you open the lines. In the end though, if you're still in doubt, you can always higher a professional. Of course they hit you where it hurts. $$$. :grrrr:

Yes, with some careful planning ahead, just about all the PVC required can be obtained at your local hardware store. If you decide to upgrade any of the valves as noted above, those you could get at a local pool supply store, or order on-line. If you have a question about a specific valve, let us know. Water out of the pipes? .... Maybe some residual from above, but with the valves closed and/or system turned-off during the work, you should have no problems other than some local run-off from the nearby pipes once you open the lines. In the end though, if you're still in doubt, you can always higher a professional. Of course they hit you where it hurts. $$$. :grrrr:

Ok thanks for the help....yea figured the valves should not be from a hardware store.....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.