Want to be an owner/builder. Help?

bcampbell

Silver Supporter
Apr 9, 2016
fontana, CA
I'm trying to convince my husband that this is doable, but I don't even know where to start for pool designs. There are 2 different types of pools that I like , but I would need to price out both to see which is feasible. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello and welcome to TFP. :wave: To make sure we understand your question based on the title of your thread, are you interested in simply owning a specific type of pool (plaster, fiberglass, vinyl lined), or shape (rectangle, kidney, etc), or more curious if you and your husband can actually build any of these on your own either as a DIY or sub-contracting it out for others in your area to do? With a little more info, I'm sure our staff and/or forum members can help give you a push in the right direction. :)

Hello and welcome to TFP. :wave: To make sure we understand your question based on the title of your thread, are you interested in simply owning a specific type of pool (plaster, fiberglass, vinyl lined), or shape (rectangle, kidney, etc), or more curious if you and your husband can actually build any of these on your own either as a DIY or sub-contracting it out for others in your area to do? With a little more info, I'm sure our staff and/or forum members can help give you a push in the right direction. :)

My husband and I are looking to be our own GC. The dilemma is I love the pools with the rock waterfall and slide, but if that is over our budget I'm willing to settle for a pool and jacuzzi. So I'm trying to see if there is free software out there for design? Once I have the designs, do I bid both pools out to see the prices?

My husband and I are looking to be our own GC. The dilemma is I love the pools with the rock waterfall and slide, but if that is over our budget I'm willing to settle for a pool and jacuzzi. So I'm trying to see if there is free software out there for design? Once I have the designs, do I bid both pools out to see the prices?
In my experience with O/B most subs won't quote you unless you have plans and sub contractor notes. Even then some e.g. plaster and shotcrete won't give you a quote until your project is excavated and in plasters case shot. Honestly, you're in a bit of a pickle pricing O/B on two different style pools without any plans. I'd try to find locals who either did O/B or maybe had a pool company build theirs and use that for a starting point. You could also get bids from local pool companies and then plan on it costing you a % of what a pool company would build it for.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.