SoCal Noob

Feb 27, 2016
Riverside, CA
Hi There!

Back in January I closed on a house with a pool. It's a 27k gallon lazy-L built in 1968. There's a spa on the side of the pool and we have been enjoying that almost nightly. The pool temp is coming over the mid 70s with the addition of a solar cover and it's swimming season here!

When we were in escrow on this house I was talking to a friend about the pool situation, I've never had one, and he said a pool is no more trouble than having a cat. I thought, "oh no, I'll never get that under control" (I've never had a cat).

I'm glad to have found this forum as the folks at the pool store really annoyed me; always up-selling, blah, blah, blah. I had also intended to have a pool service "take care of cat" for awhile as I had other things to do. I found the serve to be annoying at best and expensive at worst. I fired them and decided to just start maintaining the pool myself.

Things were going well until...some recent family emergencies took me away from the cat and with the pool temp increasing dramatically, I had a algae bloom! Based on what I'd already learned here I put down almost immediately following the SLAM procedure.

It's funny, people have a lot of weird ideas about pool chemistry; I'm glad I found this forum. I'm an engineer, but don't hold it against me. :)

Regards,
Kevin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Welcome, Kevin! :wave:

Your friend is actually right. What does a cat really need? Daily feeding; bleach. Keep the water full. Vacuum up the hair, clean the litter box; vacuum, clean the skimmer. Dead mouse in the skimmer; dead mouse on the doorstep. Similar duties, similar time demands. But you won't get torn to shreds when you take the pool's temperature. :mrgreen:

Welcome! I'm in Riverside too.

What kind of Engineer?

Automation. Mechanical process development and factory automation. I build process automation systems that connect technology with business needs. Nowadays I'm doing a lot of vision guided robotics replacing mechanical feeder system with flexible feeder systems.

The pool is fun for me. I remember one useful thing, and only one, from chemistry back in the day: for every 10 C increase in temperature, reaction rates double. That's it; it's all I've got for Chem!

Regards,
Kevin

Welcome to TFP! We wont sell you anything unnecessary but you should make sure you have a tf100 test kit.