Hello, new member with questiions.....of course

Howdy, been a lurker for awhile and just became an active member. We have an intek above ground pool 18'x42" it's as green and nasty as can be. I spent a fortune on chemicals last year with the stock pump, and cartridge filter system, not to mention my water bill in filling the dang thing.

I am wanting to convert it to a true sand filter and saltwater system. Here is what I'm looking at Amazon.com : Intex 120V Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump Garden Just not real sure if this is the right avenue? I also want some kind of automatic vacuum head as what we have been using just.....in a word.......su***/doesn't work.

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks

Brian!

You have a chemistry problem not a filter problem.

What are you using as a sanitizer? Trichlor pucks? If so you are creating the problem.

Read this:
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

I also strongly suggest you buy one of the recommended test kits either the K2006 or the TF 100 and you start testing your water yourself.

A Sand filter will not solve your problem. Your water has insufficient active chlorine. Your cartridge filter is probably too small but is ok. First solve your chemistry problem, then buy a larger filter, they require much less cleaning.

My oversized cartridge filter does great I have no algae and you can read a book in the deep end of my pool. I clean it twice a year. Its not me its getting the chemistry correct.

Welcome, you have found the right place :)

+1 on a great test kit, read up on some of the info below in my sig.. That filter will work better but I agree that is not your #1 problem.. The salt water generator will work very good after you get your pool water balanced...

Welcome! :wave:

I think you'll be very happy with that filter and the saltwater generator. For the vacuum, if you want to use a real pool vacuum, you need a real pool skimmer to hook it to, or a dedicated line. Use the search box to see how others have installed a through-wall skimmer on an intex and hard-plumbed the pool. If plumbing is not your thing, a pool blaster with the fine silt bag accessory might take care of your vacuuming needs.

Do you have a proper test kit? The pool store doesn't qualify, nor do test strips. You'll need a test kit to maintain the chemistry properly. You'll also want some salt test strips. It's a chunk o'change, but I'm betting you spent way more than that at the pool store in one trip last season. It's an investment, and it should last a whole season at least. If you plan to clear the swamp in place instead of draining, get the XL option, too.

You'll want to get the water clear and balanced before you add the salt and start running the generator. If you have kids, hold Diamond Day.

Thanks for the welcome and replies, just to clarify a bit, I let my pool go over the winter, so there are currently NO chemicals at all. Last year I was having problems with the cartridge filter, seems like I was having to clean/replace the cartridge all the time. We have a suction hose that plugs into the intake for the filter unit and a vacuum head, problem with that was the filter would clog up before we got halfway round the pool. I know a lot of it was we let it go too far before getting started but lesson learned. That is one of the main reasons I wanted a bigger sand filter/pump. Getting one with the saltwater system just seemed like a no brainer to me.

So, now to get started on turning my pool from green to clean before converting to sws? correct? I have a rudimentary test kit that will at least check chlorine, ph, alkalinity levels but am going to order one of the ones ya'll have recommended. Plus I have a lot of reading to do on the Pool School. I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions.

Thanks

Brian

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.