Guts of QuadDE Filter

Mine is a Pentair QUADDE-100 filter. Pentair makes two styles of DE filters - the quad cartridge style and the FNS line which is the traditional grid-style DE filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, it's BAD to backwash a DE filter???

No, they are designed to be backwashed. However, the reverse water flow puts stress on the plumbing and the grids (or cartridges) in ways that it's not designed for. So, if one were to try to backwash at very high VSP speeds or you had a pump with a rated horsepower that was not properly matched to the filter, you could, over time, damage the internal components. My comments were aimed more at making the point that, because I don't backwash frequently, my filter is saved all that unnecessary stress. Will my filter last longer....hard to say but my cartridges still look great year after year....

No, they are designed to be backwashed. However, the reverse water flow puts stress on the plumbing and the grids (or cartridges) in ways that it's not designed for. So, if one were to try to backwash at very high VSP speeds or you had a pump with a rated horsepower that was not properly matched to the filter, you could, over time, damage the internal components. My comments were aimed more at making the point that, because I don't backwash frequently, my filter is saved all that unnecessary stress. Will my filter last longer....hard to say but my cartridges still look great year after year....

Hmm...they are designed to be backwashed, but that puts stress on the plumbing and the grids that they were not designed for... That's sounds a bit contradictory... "you got some 'splainin' to do, Lucy"

I backwashed today for the 2nd time since we started this great nerve-wracking adventure. Did it on all on low speed so as not to lose water too fast. We need to do a break down cleaning but mine and hubby's schedules have not been in sync and the pressure has gone up in the last week or so with all the pollen dropping. We'll try for next week or the following week for the full breakdown. I'm nervous about it, having never done one yet and hope it's not a horrible chore.

Hmm...they are designed to be backwashed, but that puts stress on the plumbing and the grids that they were not designed for... That's sounds a bit contradictory... "you got some 'splainin' to do, Lucy"

True, that statement was a bit contradictory. It's kind of like this - the filter medium (nylon bagged grids or pleated cartridges) are designed to withstand the mechanical forces of water pressing against them from the "outside in". Just because they are designed to handle those forces doesn't necessarily mean you can reverse those forces (push water form the inside-out) and expect them to perform the same way. So, when backwashing, you need to be more concerned about a high force in the wrong direction. However, because backwashing doesn't usually last more than a minute or two, the application of those forces is short enough to not have any kind of catastrophic effect. If you left your filter in backwash and tried to run the pump at high speed for a long period of time, you'd likely destroy something on the inside.

Is there a cumulative effect to all of this (like lots of little doses of COX-2 inhibitors causing cardiac issues over the long term even though the immediate palliative and anti-inflammatory effect is completely well tolerated)? That's hard to quantify. However, in terms of these quad cartridge style filter, one will usually see the circumferential straps around the pleats snap over time. For grids, you'll see the nylon bag tear.

Ahh! Got it!!

Matt-is there ANYTHING that you don't know a whole hoot-load about??? I love when you explain stuff! Seriously!
Thank you!

You can ask my wife...I'm sure she has a whole big long list of all the things I don't know....

Top of the list -

"There are more than 4 colors (plus black and white) and you have a daughter now that needs you to dress her accordingly..."

and, I was told I needed to figure out how to do this, or else I may have to live out in the garage -

c1d56ca0af187d16469ff938ab8b42f3.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Aw, that's EASY stuff!! Wait until she comes home and tells you mommy is taking her bra shopping! ;)

Wait til you, the dad, gets to take her bra shopping.

Oi! I will NEVER be ready for that day.... :shock:

And, if and when some boy comes sniffing' round my little girl, there's gonna be a whole world of hurt doled out by her three older brothers :hammer: My plan is to shuttle the boy off to the shed with my sons there in cut-off tee-shirts and sit him down on a chair in front of a 50 gallon poly-drum with plastic painters sheet all over the floor and an assortment of chainsaws and butcher knives all around. My "discussion" with him will be simply, "step out of line and hurt my little princess and it will be years before the authorities ever find this drum filled with your decomposed remains....".

"hope it's not a horrible chore."

It's quite horrible.

Thanks, James, now I'm REALLY nervous about it!

As long as you keep your mouth closed, it's not that bad.....but for Heaven's sake keep your mouth closed when hosing off the grids!!!

Got it! I guess you know this from personal experience???

I need some Jack's Magic lube, right??

Best o-ring lube for pools -

fe1554497ec55de1715698365ab96a29.jpg

Boss Products Lube 820. Pure silicone, no Teflon. Works great.

And yes, closing of the mouth was learned from experience...something I wish never to repeat. EVER.

It's doable, just not a lot of fun.

MagicLube II (red label with silicone, not original blue label with teflon).

Best o-ring lube for pools -

fe1554497ec55de1715698365ab96a29.jpg

Boss Products Lube 820. Pure silicone, no Teflon. Works great.

Thank you both for the recommendations! I'll see which one I can find.

And yes, closing of the mouth was learned from experience...something I wish never to repeat. EVER.

Ewwww! Yuck! I can only imagine based on the nasty looking water I had coming from my backwash hose today...

- - - Updated - - -

Oi! I will NEVER be ready for that day.... :shock:

And, if and when some boy comes sniffing' round my little girl, there's gonna be a whole world of hurt doled out by her three older brothers :hammer: My plan is to shuttle the boy off to the shed with my sons there in cut-off tee-shirts and sit him down on a chair in front of a 50 gallon poly-drum with plastic painters sheet all over the floor and an assortment of chainsaws and butcher knives all around. My "discussion" with him will be simply, "step out of line and hurt my little princess and it will be years before the authorities ever find this drum filled with your decomposed remains....".

I love this!! I'm going to show this to my son, who also has 3 boys (6,3,2) and now a girl who is 8 weeks old. He'll appreciate it. ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.