What's the best order to convert to SWG?

Mar 26, 2016
Collinsville/OK
Hi! Last summer we installed an Intex 22'x52" ultra frame pool. We kept it going with Leslie's pool store products, I have since discovered TFP and pool school. I have been reading on here like crazy. I ordered and have the tf100 testing kit, along with the stirrer. We have also purchased an Intex SWG and Intex sand filter, but have not installed them yet. We opened the pool today, cleaned it out and just hooked up the Intex cartridge filter(2500gph) until we figure all this out. We used an Aquapill over the winter.

Here are my test results
FC .5
CC 0
PH 6.8
CYA 80
TA 60
CH 100

What should my next step be? Do I add bleach to raise my FC? Start adding salt and hook up the new Sand filter and SWG?

I am so thankful to have found this wonderful forum with such great info and helpful people.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!

Was this a fresh fill or do you have some algae in the water?

Yes you should raise the FC with bleach, how much depends on whether you need to SLAM first.

The pH should be raised into the 7s as well.

Have you played with PoolMath?

Jbizzlw- Thank- you for responding :) We filled it last August when we set it up. We topped it off today. I don't see any algae, the water was pretty clear when we took the cover off, but now that we have stirred things up its a bit cloudy. I haven't played with the pool math yet.

The first order of business is to get the pH up to 7.2 (use borax or soda ash....i'd use borax). Then you need to SLAM the pool. However, your CYA is high (great level for an SWG but a bit too high for manual chlorination) so that means you'll need a fairly high FC to bring it to shock level.

Your call - you can either shock at the higher FC or drain and replace 50% of your water to make the CYA 40ppm and then shock at the lower FC value. Then, when you finally concert to an SWG, you can raise the CYA back up again.

Yeah, I should have added that it all depends on your source of water. 5,000 gallons of water for me (desert dweller) ain't cheap. If you have high municipal water rates, then SLAMing at high CYA is cheaper. If your water is cheap, or from a well, maybe draining to get a lower CYA is cheaper.

Either way works, just go with whatever is cheapest and the least hassle.

Welcome, So glad you found us :)

Hook up your SWG and new pump/filter, just dont turn on your SWG yet, you will start that up once everything is good ;)

Good old 20 Mule Team Borax will bring your PH up, 7.2 will be great (your low TA and PH is great for a SWG)You can take your
fc to SLAM level (24 for CYA 70) with regular bleach (atwoods has 10% liquid pool shock for 10 bucks for 4 gallons, great price) and keep it there for a couple days and then do an OCLT and see if you pass all 3 tests.. If you do pass let it drift down to FC of 6

you can add your salt now (remember test you water first to see what salt level your at) and then when you fc gets back down to 6 fire up the SWG..

It will take a couple weeks to dial in your pump and SWG time to keep you FC at 6.. try starting out at 6 hours a day and see what that gets you

Hope this helps :)

check out my links below, poolmath is great

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.