Selecting the correct pool pump.

Apr 9, 2016
Mesa, AZ
I moved into my house a few years ago and have been having problems with my pool pump. I have been getting air bubbles pumped into the pool, as well as the pump leaking in various places. I have taken the pump apart and replaced all the seals twice. This usually helps for a little while and then it goes back to air bubbles. I replaced the above ground suction lines and again that helped a little.

After doing some more research, I think the issue is that I have a pool pump that is too big.

I have the Hayward SP2615X20 - 2.0 HP Super Pump

Pool Size - In-Ground, 10,000 Gallons
Pool Filter - Hayward Sand S244SV
Suction - There are 2 lines that meet at the Jandy, the Skimmer and the vacuum line. I believe the main drain runs through the skimmer basket (still can't figure this out). The skimmer is approx 22' of pipe from the pump and the vacuum is 27'. (This assumes they ran the pvc in the shortest / logical route.)
Suction PVC - 2"
Filter to pool - 2" PVC + 1" branch for small "water feature" sprayer
Outlets - 2 water jets back into pool.

My math is telling me I should have a 3/4 HP Pump. Such as the Hayward SP2605X7.

I have no idea why they installed such a large pump.

Please let me know if I've made any errors in my calculations. Thanks.

Welcome to the forum.

That is a monster pump for that pool and you could definitely go with a much smaller pump. Have you checked the suction lines for blockage? Is there any damage to the pump housing that would cause the seals to not stay sealed?

I would replace the pump just because it is sooo oversized you could save a lot in electric costs, i'm not positive that it will fix the air leak. If you do replace the pump get a 2 speed.

Yes, your pump could be smaller, but it is not really that large of a pump. I do not think the power of the pump is your problem resulting in the air.

I am not sure what calculations you did, but it is not straightforward to estimate head loss of that is what you were doing. There really is little value to that calculation anyway.

Do you only get the air when the suction is on the skimmer or the vacuum line?

Do you have a float diverter under you skimmer basket over 2 open holes?

Where do you see the air? Sounds like it has to be eitherthe Jandy valve or something on the pump. Any chance the lid is warped? Trying running water over the valve or pump lid to see if you can get the air to stop. Or you can try shaving cream.

I see the air through the lid of the pump. When I replaced the above ground portion of the pvc, I also replaced the Jandy Valve.

There is a chance that there is an issue with the pump lid. Re-lubing the seal seems to help for a short while.

I like the shaving cream idea, I will give that a try.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.