Super chlorinating when opening this year

Ive read through the sticky on opening the pool (very helpful information, thank you). Since its my first opening and first time using the t 100 test kit should I be testing the CYA levels prior to super chlorinating/ shocking the pool. I pulled the cover back yesterday and circulated the water adding some pool shock and raised the ph due to the amount of rain we have gotten.

Andrew, something else you might want to consider is posting a pull set of the most current test results. Sometimes we get a little nervous when someone mentions they "shocked the pool and increased pH". pH is usually something we need to bring down in most pools, and shocking ... well .... as Casey said we manage FC based on your current CYA level. They go together. :)

So if you need additional help, or would like to post all the test results, feel free to do so and we'll give you a 2nd opinion. Have a great day.

Nice job on having the best test kit! Well done!

You should test all of your levels before you do anything with the water. If you have any questions once you do your test share your numbers here and we can help you out.

Kim

Thanks for all the replies,very helpful. My liquid shock addition was just to raise the fc levels a little bit to hold the pool over till opening. Temps are in the 40_50 range with cold over night temps. Probably two weeks till opening. I will have full tests results when the cover comes off. Last year I was using chlorine packs and had to raise ph through out the summer especially after heavy rains. This year no more packs just bleach/ liquid shock. Look forward to the changes. Thanks for all the help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.