Dolphin Nautilus Plus vs Triton

Oct 15, 2015
DFW, TX
trying to stay around $700 but I see the Triton would be about $100 over that price point. This will be our first pool and I'm definitely don't want to have to manually clean the pool down here in Texas in June/July/August. I think I've got the main differences between the Nautilus Plus and the Triton as being the Triton can clean the waterline tile, has another shorter cleaning mode and comes with a caddy and a decent remote. Both are top-loading and use filters.

If I were to add the caddy to the Nautilus Plus the Triton would be just around $40-$50 more than the NP so I guess it comes down to how useful/handy the caddy truly is. If it's handy to have, I suppose I'm better off with the Triton over the Nautilus Plus then? Do I have the basic differences between the two stated correctly? Seems I can't go wrong with either one and it seems like both will be a nice fit for my pool (sport/play pool, 34x23 or so, lots of benches and a above average tanning ledge)

Darin,

My robot came with a remote.. I used it once, the day it came. It works great, but I really have not found a use for it.. Throw the robot in the pool, it cleans the whole thing, and you are done...

You really do want a cleaner that scrubs the tile line. To me it just makes sense for the cleaner to do the whole pool, including the water line. Other than the stairs and the seats, I don't brush anything.

Jim R

+1 on the caddy being very handy. The robot is fairly heavy out of the water. I store my robot (Triton Plus) in the garage between uses so the caddy provides a convenient means of transport. The caddy also provides a convenient place to store the cable, power supply and remote. As far as the remote goes, I use it to park the robot on the stairs when it is done cleaning which makes it very easy to get out of the water. I do not like to pull on the power cable to extract the robot from the pool, and I have a bad back so when parked on the stairs it is much easier for me to extract the robot.

I have the Triton Plus (actually rebranded in typical Dolphin fashion as Oasis Z-5) and I would gladly pay the extra $100 for the caddy and climbing all the way to the tiles. My family loves to watch the thing climb, and no brushing needed, except for the steps and benches. It actually gets to all but the highest step, but if I go to the trouble of fetching the brush, I go ahead and brush them all. The robot is a bit unwieldy out of water. The caddy helps a lot. Even on the caddy, is is not terribly easy to lift over the door jamb leading to my garage. Overall, its my little buddy.

so it looks like the caddy is a given then. triton vs triton plus comes down to the 2 cleaning cycle options on the plus, added remote control, top-loading filters and the ability to schedule cleanings (not sure how much I'd use this particular feature).

All marketing fluff, EXCEPT for the top loading filters, as far as I am concerned. I recommend the top loaders. I can imagine flipping the robot over would be an inconvenience... but bottom loader Triton is probably still way better than the pressure-side Racer my PB supplied. Bottom filter access is inconvenient for me personally, but not a show stopper. And maybe not an issue for most. Remote control, cleaning cycle option, and scheduling seem irrelevant to me. The thing cleans good, and that is what's important. All the rest are add-ons that you may not use.

Well there is one more difference, it appears the triton plus has dual track drive and the triton has single track. Best to first let others report on whether single drive gets stuck on drains. I know mine does not seem to have that problem.

I know the online comparison on the maytronics website shows that the Nautilus-Plus doesn't clean waterline tile but I've seen a couple of references around here that says it can.. anyone got the definitive, real-world answer?

I have a nautilus+ and it does climb the wall and scrub around the water line. I have never seen a triton in action so I can't say whether the cleaning is substantially different. If I get a chance tomorrow I can try to make a video and catch the waterline cleaning in action.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.