New in the forum and to the pool world

Apr 8, 2016
Bloomington/IL
My wife and I bought a house last October in middle Illinois with a pool, the pool is 10 yrs old and it has been well kept. I had a local dealer closing it in late October and we are in the process of getting ready to open it up. The current pump is original, it is a Pantatair single speed and I'm seriously considering changing it to a variable speed pump, either a SuperFlo VS or a IntelliFlo. I have request quote from a vendor for a IntlliFlo pump and they quoted $1,800. I have seen some prices on the internet for the same pump for aprox $900, when I asked the vendor for the difference he warned me of issues with warranty and reputable vendors on the internet, mostly "used" equipment. When I looked at the work involved to do that job it does not seem that complicated, I consider myself handy and think I can do it. I would like to hear some feedback regarding internet purchased of this type of equipment, if there is a few recommendations regarding internet vendors, I would like to hear about it. I also like to hear if somebody has done this and can share some learning. Thanks,Luis

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: Although VS pumps have a very nice reputation, and certainly serve their purpose in certain settings, a simple 2-speed might work for you as well. To best advise you, it would be great if you could add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later. This link may also help you: Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post.

From their, we can give you all sorts of good ideas. And yes, there's no reason you shouldn't' be able to connect a new pump yourself as long as you have some basic electrical skills and patience with PVC. :)

Great to have you with us.

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: Although VS pumps have a very nice reputation, and certainly serve their purpose in certain settings, a simple 2-speed might work for you as well. To best advise you, it would be great if you could add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later. This link may also help you: Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post.

From their, we can give you all sorts of good ideas. And yes, there's no reason you shouldn't' be able to connect a new pump yourself as long as you have some basic electrical skills and patience with PVC. :)

Great to have you with us.

Thanks for the reply and suggestion. I will upload my pool information this weekend.

- - - Updated - - -

Welcome to TFP!

That is good advice, there are plenty of bad internet vendors. There are also plenty of bad pool stores. :)

Here is a great internet vendor who also has a real store. I have been buying from them for many years. And I am a BIG fan of my Pentair variable speed pump and highly recommend getting one.

sunplay.com Pentair SuperFlo VS Pump 342001 | Pentair 342001
sunplay.com Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump 011018 | Pentair 011018

Thanks for the reply and recommendations for a good vendor!!

I would like to add that Pentair only offers a 60 day warranty for self installations.

You might shop around for another quote to see if you can find it installed a bit cheaper than $1800.

The 2-speed pump might be ideal and there are a bunch to choose from. They also tend to have fewer problems as they don't have the control panel to control the speeds.

Search to see if you are eligible for a power rebate for VS or 2-speed pumps.

I concur with pooldv's recommendation of Sunplay. I've bought several things from them with no issues.

I've installed two Intelliflo pumps, at rent houses, and could not be happier. If you are handy at all, installing one is very simple. These are 220 volt pumps, so you'd want to make sure that you already have it at your pad. Two other things that I would recommend are...

1. Use unions to connect to the pump. You will have to buy them separate as they do not come with the pump. Do not use the unions that you can get a Home Depot, the ones you want are designed for pool pumps and have an O-Ring on the threaded end going to the pump.

2. Install some kind of surge protector right at the pad. A lot of people also install another one in there main circuit breaker panel.

As far as your PB/Vendor charging you $1,800. This might be a little high, but not by much. I suspect that the low ball price you can get off the internet is not much different than what he has to pay for the pump. Plus, he has to factor in all his business expenses, labor, insurance, vehicle costs, etc. What you get for this extra cost, is piece of mind that job is being done correctly, the additional warranty that Pentiar offers, Someone to call first if something is not right, ... and, if you are like me, about 10 trips to Home Depot for all the things you forgot the first 9 times.

I think the warranty issue is a little overblown, and is much more important to some people than others. Generally, about 90% of new items fail in the first month of operation, most right out of the box. Buying a quality product with only a 60 day warranty is a risk, but not huge risk. If you are risk adverse, then it makes sense to pay extra for the installation.

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.