Brand new to pools not chemistry :)

Apr 8, 2016
Central nc
Hi,

I Just registered here and will be posting over in the intro threads. I bought a house with a salt water pool last August. It hasn't been used in a couple of years so I figured I'd document/ask questions in this thread in case it helps anyone else out and will give me an easy place to document what is going on. I have printed out some pool school stuff and the sticky on how to bring my swamp back to an oasis. I'll put specifics here this evening and add to my signature. I am about to start filling my pool to the skimmer this weekend as it is about 1-1.5 ft below. During that time I will be reading and learning what to do. My main concern is regarding the sand filter and pump equipment it turns on and that is about all I know. I plan on having the local pool service come by and verify my work and check on things unless you guys think it is easily done without their help. I was planning on ordering a taylor K-2006 kit testing and following the swamp method if everything powers on. I have never even seen the pool work, the house was empty when we bought it. So I am not sure of the rules and valves to open/close in order to turn it all back on. Maybe pictures and some helpful input will get me through :).

Thanks
Jared

Good morning Jared and welcome! :wave: You are on the right track now, and reading ahead is one of the best things you can do. You'll see some important links below in my sig, so you can start there. We certainly can help with sand filter questions. If you order the K-2006, make sure to get the 2006"C" as it has more reagent to conduct your SLAM. Otherwise, the TF-100 works very well too. Also consider the "speed stir" which helps to mix the solutions. We'll watch for your other threads or questions. Great to have you with us.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes! Definitely post pics for us. Have you tried linking your photos from Photobucket? That's what many of us do here on TFP. Upload your pics to Photobucket (free), then copy & paste the IMG code for that pic from Photobucket to your TFP post. Works great.

Also, you can try going to the bottom of your quick reply post where it says “Go Advanced”, and then down to where it says “Manage Attachments”. It may let you upload them that way. They may show-up large because you can't adjust the size of the attachment, but it may work.

Thanks alot for the reply and info sir, I'll just go ahead and grab the TF-100. I am pretty proficient with forums, I have reading and contributing to different ones for around 12 years. I find it interesting to read others thoughts and give and receive help when needed. I just don't have the pictures taken but the setup at the house is pretty nice, just gotta get it going. There are also a few things there already water testing wise but I am sure they are past expiry.

Thanks
Jared

That is a pretty set up! I wonder just how green the pool will be??? The cover on it should mean there is no "stuff" in it but I bet it is as green as green can be.

So you will be opening this weekend! Make sure to take LOTS of pictures of everything!

Did you know you could become a supporting member? If you do you will get a discount on the test kit AND more picture storage! CLICK HERE to Become a TroubleFreePool.com Supporter!!

I look forward to helping you with your pool!

kim

Up high

This is brand new should I use it?

That was in there. They sent out for all the testing you guys use. I wanted to show this to give people a reference for how it used to work and what I had on hand here.

White pvc connects not sure what for.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well done! That pool room looks well set up and clean!

I would not use the tester except to play with and see how wrong it is compared to your real test kit when you get it. It will be an interesting experiment.

Cover??? That will be great for holding in heat and keeping out stuff!

I can't wait to see what it looks like with the cover off.

It will be fun to help you with learning your pool with all of the arrows and details written on the pipes! That makes our job much easier!

Kim

Jared, great pics. If the pool is indeed green as you mentioned in post #1, then you will need to SLAM. I can just about guarantee anyone coming over to give you pool school will not be familiar with the TFP SLAM. So you'll need to read-up on it on your own. :) Link below in my sig.

As for your sand filter, if you don't have the manual, there are tons of sand filter operation videos on YouTube. Watch a couple so you understand how they work, and what it means to backwash, rinse, etc. Always turn-off the pump before switching the multiport valve! What will be key for your sand filter is knowing "when" to clean it (backwash). We typically advise to backwash when the pressure increases from your starting baseline (clean) pressure by 25%. For example: If your starting (clean) psi was 10, when it hits 13 or so it's time to backwash.

Remember that with a SLAM you will turn-off the SWG and use regular bleach only to maintain FC. I think I saw an SWG in your plumbing. Speaking of which, please make sure to update your signature as soon as you can so we can look quickly at your set-up to assist. Post back if you still have questions.

Jared, great pics. If the pool is indeed green as you mentioned in post #1, then you will need to SLAM. I can just about guarantee anyone coming over to give you pool school will not be familiar with the TFP SLAM. So you'll need to read-up on it on your own. :) Link below in my sig.

As for your sand filter, if you don't have the manual, there are tons of sand filter operation videos on YouTube. Watch a couple so you understand how they work, and what it means to backwash, rinse, etc. Always turn-off the pump before switching the multiport valve! What will be key for your sand filter is knowing "when" to clean it (backwash). We typically advise to backwash when the pressure increases from your starting baseline (clean) pressure by 25%. For example: If your starting (clean) psi was 10, when it hits 13 or so it's time to backwash.

Remember that with a SLAM you will turn-off the SWG and use regular bleach only to maintain FC. I think I saw an SWG in your plumbing. Speaking of which, please make sure to update your signature as soon as you can so we can look quickly at your set-up to assist. Post back if you still have questions.

Will grab model numbers and update. I will not have time to work on getting the pool ready until next weekend so I will use this week to formulate a plan and hopefully get my kit by next Friday. I guess I'll just open the pool myself since I will be maintaining the levels anyway. I don't know how to install the rails and such but I'll give it a go, I am moderately handy. We actually have a taylor kit at work for some testing so I was able to look at some of their product in person. I hope to get the leaves cleaned around the deck and cover off this weekend. I will be watching my 2 year old so that will take all of my time until backup arrives. I'll probably also grab a couple cases of bleach. Will post pics as I open the pool. I Just hope no repairs are needed. A leak test was done and some tiles repaired a year ago so hopefully it's all still holding together.

Quick question, as I have been reading I noticed salt strips are needed. There is half a tube there should I go ahead and grab some more up front while I am gathering supplies?

Thanks
Jared

A method to test salt levels is required for people with SWG pools. Once you are ready to open the pool and circulate water, you should only have to test the salt once at first to know if you need to add any. If for some reason your water was in such bad shape that you needed to exchange water, that would result in another test I suppose. But it's certainly not a frequent test like some others. If you find at some point you do want to order more, they have both strips and test drop products at TFTESTkits.com. Have a nice weekend.

LOL I can see it now........."I help you" as only a 2 year old can say as they fall into the water "helping" to pull the cover off!

Good luck. When you are ready to do anything make sure to post here with pics. There is someone who has already done it and will be willing to help!

Take your time. We will be here waiting on you.

Kim

I would suggest the following:
1 - Fill w/ water to mid-way up skimmer.
2 - Test pump and equipment to ensure everything operates (briefly)
3 - Manually scoop as much as you can before leaving the pump running and attempting the SLAM

From that point, you need to have plenty of bleach ready - several gallons. You need to know how may gallons your pool is and update your signature before we send the TFP police on you. :cop: Kidding - but it helps us.

Which Taylor kit do you have? If it's not the K-2006C, then you'll need more reagents of R-0870 (powder) and R-0871 (drops) to test throughout the SLAM. Before starting a SLAM you'll check to ensure pH is between 7.2-7.5. From there, you'll use regular bleach to increase FC to 10 (at first) as a trial to see how it holds. If it does hold for say 30-60 min, then add stabilizer for a target of 30 ppm. If the FC disappears really fast after adding bleach, then you have ammonia in the water and will need different instructions - basically adding testing and adding bleach every 10 minutes until FC begins to hold. We can get into that more later.

Read & re-read the SLAM page (link below) to get it memorized. That's the law of the land for clearing that water. One last thing ..... in your area of NC ....... you need to find out of you have metals in the water (i.e. iron). You can take a fresh (source) sample from your hose to the pool store and they may able to tell you. Or ask your local water company. Once the SLAM is over, metals need to be addressed right away, so it helps to know in advance.

I have yet to order my kit, I was gonna order the TF-100 XL option as commented on above. I'll probably grab the speed stir as well.

Pool stats:

33,000 gallon Realtor said it was gunnite
SWG Aqua Rite witha Hayward Turbocell TCell15
Filter Hayward Proseries model 210T SF
Pump 1 Wisper Flo couldnt find any other markings or model on it.
PB4 Booster Pump
Vacuum pump is also present no model.

Will add sig later when my son slows down.

There are also pipes out to where a nat gas heater used to be with a 2psi line available. Will take some close ups of the different pipes and writing as well as the valves that open and close them with the arrows on them later as well.

Jared

Great! :goodjob: Sig edit later, great. You appear to have a sand filter which will require a fair amount of backwashing once you start the SLAM. SWG will remain off during the SLAM. Will look for your pics later. Once you get the test kit in the mail and things settle down to where you get ready to pull the trigger on that SLAM, post back with an update and we'll help guide you through it. Have a great weekend.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.