Please help with plumbing repair

Johnny B

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 19, 2009
Charlotte, NC
Is there a way to permanently seal the hole where my automatic chlorinator broke. I never use it. It is a relic from prior to TFP.

Do they make a plug or is there a way to permanently seal it somehow without cutting pipes? Am I correct that the part that broke threads through their and so perhaps do they make a plug?

If I must cut pipes can you coach me on unscrewing where the vertical part meets the 2 fittings on the pump?

I assume that both of those 2 lower fittings can be unscrewed?

Now that I think about it, just replace the piece that broke even though I don't use it? I assume the chlorinator fills with water or doesn't matter if it fills with water?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMAG0575.jpg
    IMAG0575.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 44
  • IMAG0574.jpg
    IMAG0574.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 43
  • IMAG0578.jpg
    IMAG0578.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
You might try removing the fitting that's broken and install a stainless steel screw from the inside of the fitting to the outside coated with silicone sealant and reinstall.
OR .. with the broken fitting removed clean and rough it up with a little sand paper and use a two part epoxy to seal the hole, fill completely and have a "head" like the screw on the inside of the fitting and reinstall it.

You could also use a different clamp with rubber that seals the same way and would just fit over the opening. Check out a hardware or box store and try to find the "old guy" who would know.

Attachments

• plumbing leak repair clamp.jpg
    plumbing leak repair clamp.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 41
If you are comfortable with it, or have someone who can help, it looks MUCH easier to me to just re-do some of that plumbing entirely!

You have a threaded to slip fitting at the pump, and two elbows. You'd also need a coupling after that second elbow, wherever the PVC gets cut. I'd just cut it out and re-do it. PVC cutters are easy to use and many here could help with that as well.

Kiss4aFrog answered what you asked more directly though, lol. I just don't see it as being worth all that effort for something that would be more likely to fail compared to just re-plumbing a little. I know you asked about avoiding cutting, but it looks like it would be much easier to me.

Thanks for the help.
Turns out I have the parts from an old kit.
Any tips or tricks to pry out the old fitting that inserts into the PVC 1.5inch pipe? Just gently with a screw driver
Once the clamp is off, that other piece is just stuck in with hardened brittle rubber. I'd stick a screwdriver into the hole and jiggle things up-and-down and side-to-side to loosen it or perhaps make it disintegrate so you can pull the rest of it out. Just be gentle, because PVC pipe can get brittle with age, too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.