Considering some upgrades for my unusually-configured above-ground pool

Mar 27, 2016
Chapel Hill, NC
Hi!

I just bought a house with a pool; it's about 30'x15x4' so about 13,500 gallons. It is a vinyl-lined above ground pool (are there any other kinds?) but it is configured in a somewhat unusual way--the lot slopes, and they've built a large deck all around the pool. The pump and filter is just about at skimmer height, about 10 feet away. There are a couple of small Solara solar panels in place, a 1HP PowerFlo Matrix pump, and a cartridge filter.

I think they made a mistake installing it. The PowerFlo pump does not self-prime, and it is basically above the water level, which means I have to pop the pump skimmer lid off, fill the pump with water, and fiddle with things until the pump primes. I think that the PowerFlo Matrix is intended for above-ground pools configured so that the pump is below the water level. But I guess I should be treating my pool as if it were in-ground, right?

I would like to replace the whole shebang with a new pump, a sand filter, and a SWG. I'm looking for some advice on brands and models--I'm pretty overwhelmed by the selection and lack of comprehensive reviews out there; Here's what I'm thinking about, after doing some research as best I can:

Pump: 1HP Hayward TriStar for its self-priming capabilities
Filter: Hayward S244S Pro Series Side Mount Sand 24in. Tank In Ground Pool Filter
SWG: Hayward AQR9 Aqua Rite In-Ground Salt Chlorine Generator (up to 25,000 Gallons)

I think I have 1.5" plumbing, but I need to check. Am I going to be in trouble if I set all of this stuff up with reducers? I think all of the items above have 2" fittings.

I'm not really sure how to size the pump and filter appropriately; looks like I need to study up on hydraulics. What I can say is that the current 1HP pump and filter keep up well, and water circulation is very good. So I don't think I need to worry about that. But I wonder if the 24" sand filter is too small?

If anyone has any advice on these components or if there are any brands/lines to avoid, I would love to hear about it! Thanks!

your all over it with the pump, a self-priming pump i think will help you out..

The filter and SWG I would go as big as you can.. I have about the same amount of water and went with a 320 sqft cartridge and a 45k SWG, I have debated going to a 420 but I only clean my filters once a year so I think it is big enough.

1.5 inch to 2 inch back to 1.5 inch is just how the pool companies do it, from what I have seen there is no normal standard.. Mine goes like this..

1.5" skimmer>2" plumbing>1.5" pump>2" filter>2" SWG>1.5" return :)

73upvXjh.jpg

AMyBvAjh.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.