old brick & mortar pond with plaster coating, need help

May 2, 2009
I need to resurface a 25yr old pond in my backyard. It was constructed with bricks and mortar for the shape and then coated with what I think to be plaster. The plaster has developed many cracks and bare spots over the years and it needs another coat.

How should I prep the surface before replastering? The surface is very rough. Do I need to chip off as much plaster as possible? or should I use a bonding adhesive instead?

The pond is small, about the size of a large bathtub 8x3x2. It has a 6in lip around the outside which poses a problem for the plastering. I can't do an underwater cure because the lip is not underwater. Would I need to get concrete fortifier to mix in with the plaster so I can air cure it instead?

It appears that they used some kind of metal sheeting around the lip of the pond as well. I'm guessing it was to give it a flat even surface. The problem is that the plaster has revealed some of this steel and it has now rusted somewhat. Should I remove all rust and plaster over it?

PICTURES:

you can see in the last picture where i chipped the exposed plaster off and the stuff underneath is bright white. The red color in that is just part of a brick i chipped.

Thanks!

Now, is this a pool or a pond?

Yeah, I'd love to see pics too!

I'll have pics in a few hours. I'm waiting for a friend to bring me a camera later today.

I'm guessing it was a pond, they had a waterwall on it. They didn't have a pond liner so I guess they used plaster.

It hasn't had water in it for a long time either.

dattia said:
Have you considered just putting a heavy liner in it and adding plants and rocks for a finishing touch? I know, I know...that is the easy way out :lol:

It's definitely a possibility if I can't make the plaster work. I'd rather have plaster though. If it turns out to be way too much work then I might go the liner route.

Thanks

I would suggest posting this issue (along with the pics) at Johnbridge.com) That is probably the best ceramic tile forum on the net. They also have many experts who deal with plaster and masonry products and I believe they might be able to give you some good advice.

I do not have enough masonry experience to definitively answer your question but I wouldn't be surprised if someone there does.

duraleigh said:
I would suggest posting this issue (along with the pics) at Johnbridge.com) That is probably the best ceramic tile forum on the net. They also have many experts who deal with plaster and masonry products and I believe they might be able to give you some good advice.

I do not have enough masonry experience to definitively answer your question but I wouldn't be surprised if someone there does.

Thanks, I'll do that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.