Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: old brick & mortar pond with plaster coating, need help

1. Back To Top    #1

old brick & mortar pond with plaster coating, need help

I need to resurface a 25yr old pond in my backyard. It was constructed with bricks and mortar for the shape and then coated with what I think to be plaster. The plaster has developed many cracks and bare spots over the years and it needs another coat.

How should I prep the surface before replastering? The surface is very rough. Do I need to chip off as much plaster as possible? or should I use a bonding adhesive instead?

The pond is small, about the size of a large bathtub 8x3x2. It has a 6in lip around the outside which poses a problem for the plastering. I can't do an underwater cure because the lip is not underwater. Would I need to get concrete fortifier to mix in with the plaster so I can air cure it instead?

It appears that they used some kind of metal sheeting around the lip of the pond as well. I'm guessing it was to give it a flat even surface. The problem is that the plaster has revealed some of this steel and it has now rusted somewhat. Should I remove all rust and plaster over it?

PICTURES:

you can see in the last picture where i chipped the exposed plaster off and the stuff underneath is bright white. The red color in that is just part of a brick i chipped.

Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: old brick & mortar pond with plaster coating, need help

Hi pentegon and welcome to the forum

If we could get some pix of that pond, it would be most helpful
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Now, is this a pool or a pond?

Yeah, I'd love to see pics too!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

I'll have pics in a few hours. I'm waiting for a friend to bring me a camera later today.

I'm guessing it was a pond, they had a waterwall on it. They didn't have a pond liner so I guess they used plaster.

It hasn't had water in it for a long time either.

5. Back To Top    #5

I've posted some pictures now. Please let me know what you think.

6. Back To Top    #6

Have you considered just putting a heavy liner in it and adding plants and rocks for a finishing touch? I know, I know...that is the easy way out
    27' round AG
    Hayward Matrix 1 1/2 HP Pump
    Hayward S210T Sand Filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by dattia
    Have you considered just putting a heavy liner in it and adding plants and rocks for a finishing touch? I know, I know...that is the easy way out
    It's definitely a possibility if I can't make the plaster work. I'd rather have plaster though. If it turns out to be way too much work then I might go the liner route.

Thanks

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

I would suggest posting this issue (along with the pics) at Johnbridge.com) That is probably the best ceramic tile forum on the net. They also have many experts who deal with plaster and masonry products and I believe they might be able to give you some good advice.

I do not have enough masonry experience to definitively answer your question but I wouldn't be surprised if someone there does.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    I would suggest posting this issue (along with the pics) at Johnbridge.com) That is probably the best ceramic tile forum on the net. They also have many experts who deal with plaster and masonry products and I believe they might be able to give you some good advice.

I do not have enough masonry experience to definitively answer your question but I wouldn't be surprised if someone there does.
    Thanks, I'll do that.