black algae

Sep 23, 2015
Austin
Ok, so another neighbour had asked me to take a look at his SWG pool based on the other neighbours chatting.....

this guy has black algae spots in corners of the steps and in the grout of the tiles.

He had replaced his salt cell back in January.

today's reading were:
FC 2.5
CC 0
CH 500
TA 70
CYA <20
pH 7.8
salt 2500

He says that his cartridge filter is mucky green last time he cleaned it. The water looks clear and blue and his salt cell is at 100%.

So, he knows to get the pH down to 7.5 and to get the salt up to 4000ppm for his machine. He can't remember the last time he added CYA but he thinks it was in January when he replaced the salt cell and Leslie's tested the water for him.

Does he need to SLAM? What about the black algae - should this be dealt with before or after the SLAM? Adding CYA? Should we test the water like I did with the other neighbour's at 10ppm for 10 minutes and then when it's holding add the CYA?

Why do I think the pool stores around here are sooooo bad???

thanks

ha. You are right to be concerned about pool store testing. It's never as accurate as we would hope. So the numbers above are from your own test kit? If so, yes - I would say a SLAM is in order for your friend based on the last comment about his filter being green and a true SLAM was not done back then. During the SLAM, the spots could be manually scrubbed to break them loose or at the very least expose the surface so the higher FC can do its job. Make sure to turn-off the SWG now and have your friend hit HEB or Wal-Mart for some generic "regular" bleach (Bravo or Great Value). Use just bleach for the SLAM.

Before the SLAM though, certainly make sure the pH is reduce to 7.2-7.5, and ensure the CYA is to at least 20. A CYA of 20 required an FC of 10; CYA of 30 required FC of 12. Make sure your friend knows the SLAM page inside & out. After the SLAM, then take that CYA up to 70 because it's way too low for a SWG pool. But do that after the SLAM has passed all 3 criteria, Hope that helps.

Being that its Austin (hot, sunny) he definitely needs to up that CYA. Take it up to about 30 for the SLAM, then higher after done for the SWG. We recommend 70-80 CYA for SWG pools.
He needs to turn the SWG off, add the salt (Taylor's K-1766 salt test is handy here) and let it get incorporated for 24 hours before turning the SWG back on. Or leave it off while he SLAMs using liquid chlorine.
Tell him to monitor his filter pressure and clean it out via backwash as necessary. Running the higher chlorine through it will help kill off any algae in there too.

Refer him to Pool School (up at the top of this page) and the directions for how to SLAM.
Good job helping him :) Make sure he gets his own test kit....the TF-100 is my fave.

Yip :flower:

Don't raise the CYA too high yet, I'd leave it around 30 or 40 for the SLAM and then run the FC between 7 to 16 until the black algae is gone. The algae spots need to be brushed everyday with a stainless brush to expose it to the chlorine.

Here is a link to black algae, Pool School - Black Algae.

After the black algae has been defeated use the suggested levels for a saltwater pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.