Zodiac MX6 gets stuck on steps (with video) - need some help with what parts I need

Apr 7, 2016
Phoenix
Hi everyone. Thanks for checking out my thread. I've had this cleaner for maybe 6 months and haven't had a problem until now. I can start it anywhere in the pool and it always gets hung up on the bottom step. I went ahead and went through the troubleshooting steps for "the cleaner gets stuck at steps" with no success. I would appreciate any help you could give me with what part(s) I need to replace to get the MX6 rocking again. Thanks!

Video: MX6 - YouTube

Troubleshooting steps already performed:

• (MX8/MX8 Elite) Observe cleaner for more than five (5) minutes and
ensure that each drive track is periodically reversing direction. If it is
not, contact you dealer or service center for help.
- Drive track closest to camera doesn't seem to be reversing direction

• Ensure return line fittings are directed downward. Add a return diverter
if necessary
- Good to go

• Count wheel rotations to verify proper flow. Refer to section, “Check for
Proper Flow”. Adjust flow if necessary.
- Checked for proper flow. 10 revolutions in 21 seconds

• Make sure hose is not kinked or coiled. Lay in sun to straighten if
necessary
- Hose not kinked

• Verify hose float is positioned approximately 9" from cleaner head.
- Verified.

• Confirm proper hose length for your pool. Refer to section, “Determine
Correct Hose Length."
- Confirmed

• Ensure the swivel on top of the cleaner rotates freely.
- Confirmed

You were right Pikeman. Not the tracks. I think I have it figured out. I just installed a Baracuda R0524700 Side A Direction Control Device Replacement for Baracuda MX8 Pool Cleaner and I think it's good to go. When I spent some more time investigating, I noticed the side "A" track wasn't reversing after rotating the bottom turbine for a while.

I called the Zodiac tech line and sent them the video as well. The tech's fix was to put a Home Depot bucket in my pool where the cleaner gets stuck (this was after telling him it's been working fine for 6-8 months or so). Yeah, no thanks.

Hopefully, this helps someone out down the line that has the same problem. I'll update, if I find out the replacement part didn't work.

Now I need to get to work on the green pool I have now after the cleaner being out of commission :eek:

Can you please explain this in more detail? My MX6 also gets stuck exactly like yours on the steps, and the same track, the left side with the yellow triangle on the wheel, does not go in reverse. I saw the part that you said to install, just wanted to clarify how you got to that conclusion and to make sure it’s the side A part, not the side B, and that it’s for the MX6, not the MX8. and also how to install.
thanks!

So I bought the directional side A, changed it, same thing is happening. What is wrong with this thing?? It can’t seem to get itself unstuck from the stairs. When I take it out and manually move it on the pavers, I noticed that it has resistance when moving forward on right side just like it did with the old directional side A. When it is stuck, the same side won’t go in reverse like the other side. Left side moves perfectly. I need help, I’ve already spent $50 and hours and stress on this machine, I’m over it. Zodiac support is no help at all.

Earlier this year, my MX6 would get stuck trying to climb walls. I changed out the side A directional control device, and it's worked fine ever since. You might check out the tracks, the treads might be getting worn smooth. Another possibility is to check the suction through the cleaner; the wheel with the yellow triangle should rotate 10 times in 20-25 seconds. If it doesn't, you may need to correct the flow through the cleaner. Another possibility is to remove the middle engine housing, make sure there's no debris around the engine assembly or other moving parts. With the middle engine housing removed, you might check the various gears; make sure none of them are worn down, and that they mesh correctly. Hope this helps you! I've been pretty happy with my MX-6, it's lasted 5 years. It does a good job, except it can get overwhelmed with large quantities of oak leaves.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My MX6 never got stuck on the stairs in our pool. Earlier this year, mine was in need of spare parts again. With oak leaf and oak streamer season looming this year, I bought a robot cleaner. The MX6 could not deal with the huge volume of oak leaves we get, and would have to be cleaned out 2 or 3 times a day. The robot cleaner gobbles up all those leaves and seems to beg for more. But the MX6 did last for 10 years (with repairs).

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.